Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Friday, March 7, 2008

Donut Muffins

I was so excited this afternoon. During lunch I was surfing the net and happened across a recipe for Donut muffins. After school I picked up the boys and we made donut muffins. The process is very similar to making a coffee cake or a crumb cake. The butter and sugar are creamed together and the dry ingredients are mixed in intermittently with the wet ingredients. The dough was very thick and I put it into the muffin tins with an ice cream scoop.

After the muffins were cooked, I dipped them in butter and then dipped them into cinamnom sugar. When they cooled down a bit the boys and I tried them. They were very good; however, they reminded me of basic muffins, which I had made in the past. I looked up my recipe for basic muffins and found the difference in ingredients wasn't that great. The donut muffins have nutmeg in them and the basic muffins contain vanilla. Donut muffins also have buttermilk which is not included in the basic muffin recipe.

The only other difference is in the texture. The doughnut muffns have a more cake like texture - that is in part due to the preparation method. The buttermilk made the doughnuts a little more moist as well.

For those who want the recipe, follow this link. http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes/doughnut_muffins.aspx

Google donut muffins - there are many variations to this recipe; one site even said that donut muffins have been around for over 80 years. Amazing

1 comment:

Dolores said...

Just wanted to let you know that I chose to replicate these as my contribution to this month's "Taste & Create" event. My coworkers adored them! Thanks for sharing, and it's been fun getting to know you through your blog.