Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Non Traditional Easter Dinner

We had family over for Easter this year. My sister-in-law and I went to the Hill and the Farmer's Market in St. Louis and bought all kinds of food. While we were shopping, we decided on Italian food for our Easter festivities. Our first idea for dinner was filet and shrimp, while the second, and cheaper choice, was pork loin. It wasn't until we were putting artichokes in our cart at an Italian market that we figured out what we really wanted to serve.

I was telling my sister-in-law about this recipe I had seen on TV. Ingredients included sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, fresh mozzarella, parmesean cheese, pasta, sausage, basil, white wine, and chicken stock. It was very easy to make and everyone seemed to like it.

Along with the pasta, we also had salad, garlic bread, salmon dip - see previous post, asperagus with hollandaise and proschuitto, and roasted potatoes with Aioli. The appetizers were wonderful!
For the first time, I made hollandaise on the stove - I used to make it in the blender, keeping the eggs raw - but this time I tried the stovetop method and was pleased with the result. Not only was the recipe easy, it was also very tasty
Hollandaise Sauce

(From the Good Housekeeping Cookbook)

3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup water
2 tblsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup butter (1 stick cut into 8 pieces; do not use margarine
1/4 tsp salt

1. In heave nonreactive 1-quart saucepan with wire whisk, mix egg yolds, water, and lemon juice until well blended. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring contantly until egg-yolk mixtures ust begins to bubble at edge, 6-8 minutes.

2. Reduce heat to low. With wire whisk, whisk in butter one piece at a time until each addition is incorporated and sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in salt. Strain through sieve if desired. Makes about 1 cup.

Remember, with all these recipes, one can adjust ingredients if needed for diets, allergies and such.
I was very lucky in that I had a lot of help with dinner. Not only did my sister-in-law go shopping with me, she also came over early to help cook the meal. We had a lot of fun and got to catch up as we don't really get to see each other a lot. Hope your Easter was happy!

1 comment:

Sticky said...

Dude, I was at this Easter dinner. The food rocked!! The Miller Lites were great as well!! The only thing that would have made Easter more pleasurable is if I would have been able to ride over on my scooter. Thanks!!