Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread

Amish bread is cooking that can be shared with many people. I have shared my bread with my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, neighbors, friends, and coworkers. My son just loves it and when he sees the starter sitting on the counter, the smile on his face is all I need to see

The bread is reletively easy to make; the only complaint I see is that the baking cycle is ten days. That means every ten days, I am making bread. At some point I have to stop and I throw away my starters. I always feel a little sad, but I know that at some point in the future, someone will have a new starter for me.

I date my starter to
make counting days easier


Amish Friendship Bread

Do not use metal spoons or mixing bowls, and do not refrigerate. If air gets in bag, let it our. Batter will rise and bubble.
Days:
1 mush the bag
2 mush the bag
3 mush the bag
4 mush the bag
5 mush the bag
6 add one cup each of milk, sugar, and flour, then mush the bag
7 mush the bag
8 mush the bag
9 mush the bag
10 pour batter into large bowl and add one cup each; flour, sugar, and milk. Stir, pour one cup each of batter into 3 half gallon baggies. Give to 3 friends with instructions.

Preheat oven to 325. Grease 2 loaf pans or Bundt pan. Coat with sugar and cinnamon. To remaining batter add:

1 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 large box instant vanilla pudding
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Add ingredients before mixing. Mix well and pour into pans. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixed. Bake 1 hour. Let cool 10 minutes in pan before removing to cooling rack.


The batter is really thick!
I have substituted chocolate pudding and banana pudding for the vanilla pudding for a different taste.

I looked on Allrecipes.com to find a starter for the friendship bread for those who might be interested in making it. I also looked on cooks.com for a starter.

4 comments:

giz said...

This recipe is fun...I can so see doing this with a group of kids - mush mush and more mush :)

Katie's blog said...

Thanks Giz, my kids help me with this all the time, and they love to watch me cook.

inside the box said...

I haven't thought about this stuff in years - when we first got married, I made it all the time. Funny how when life gets busy (I teach, have a few kids etc.etc.) you forget about some recipes. I think I will start some of this up, since I don't think my youngest has ever had it!

Katie's blog said...

My boys just love it!!! They eat it quite a bit for breakfast.