Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Canning of the Chili


One of my favorite Christmas gifts is the canner my dad gave me. I couldn't wait to use it and have a pantry like his and my stepmother's. It was filled with canned goods that they made themselves and I wanted one for myself. Flash forward ten years and I have a really cool pantry and tons of room downstairs for all my canned goods and food stuffs.

Today I made chili - enough to can 12 pints, plus eat dinner two times with my family. It is a little time consuming, but now I have chili for meals for the next few months. I will be making chili again in the next few weeks and canning quarts, but for today it was pints only. It is a two-day process as I like to cook the chili one day and skim the fat off the next before I can it. Another reason I like to make and can chili is that I know what is going into the chili and I can control what goes into my chili too.
6 lbs. ground beef
3 lbs. sausage - removed from casings
1 large onion diced
12 cloves garlic chopped
2 tbsp paprika
5 tbsp cumin
6 tbsp chili powder - mild
2 tsp cayanne pepper
6 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 quarts beef stock
4 14 oz cans chili beans

Brown ground beef and sausage - about halfway through add onion and garlic. Drain. In large stock pot add all indredients except beans. Bring chili to a boil and simmer for 1 hour. Add beans and cook for thirty more minutes. Remove from heat, let cool and put in refrigerator overnight. Skim fat from chili and heat up.

Sterilize mason jars - either 12 pints or about 9 quarts. Add chili to jars, put on lids and liners, and process for 30 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure. Let chili cool, label and place in your pantry. There are plenty of sites for canning on the net. Here is one that I like; homecanning.com

Have fun canning your favorite food! Once you start, you won't be able to stop!

4 comments:

giz said...

I've always frozen chili but never thought of canning it - hmmm... how come I just never enetered my mind. Such a good idea.

Katie's blog said...

I love canning chilis and soups; canning them frees up space for the side of beef we get each year.

Elle said...

This looks delicious, Katie! You should submit it to Pixie's Putting Up Event!

http://yousaytomatoisaytomato.blogspot.com/2008/04/
putting-up-blogging-event.html

Elle said...

This looks great! I hope you submit it to Pixie's Putting Up Event!


http://yousaytomatoisaytomato.blogspot.com/2008/04/
putting-up-blogging-event.html