Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Fabulous New Pasta Dish

I love making a new pasta dish when it turns out well. I found a recipe that called for pancetta and sausage. For my sausage, I used salsciccia that I bought on the hill in St. Louis - the other Little Italy. I love to buy meats, cheeses and other food there. There are two people I shop with on the hill now; my sister-in-law and my good friend, Dot. We always have fun. It is a really good time.

Anyway, back to the pasta. On a trip to Border's, I found The Pasta Bible, and yes I was excited, because I love pasta. There are so many good looking recipes in this book, I will use it often. The following recipe, I changed a little bit because I was lacking ingredients so I substituted, but it turned out so well, hubby talked about it for more than one day.

1 lb sausage - cooked not in casings
1 lb pasta - any style; I used penne pasta, but any will work - linguini would be great.
2 14 oz cans plum tomatoes
2 tblsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
6 oz pancetta chopped and cooked
3 tblsp parsely chopped
2 glugs milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup mizithra cheese
salt and black pepper

1. Heat oil in medium skillet, add garlic and cook over low heat. REmove garlic and discard. Break up sausage and cook in skillet with pancetta. When sausage is almost cooked, drain grease from pan. While sausage is cooking, puree tomatoes in blender or food processor. Add the pureed tomatoes to the pan with half the parsely and the salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and bring mixture to a boil, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Put the milk and the egg yolks in a large warmed bowl and mix with fork. When pasta is al dente, drain and add to bowl with milk and eggs. Toss untill pasta is coated, then pour the tomato sausage sauce over the pasta and toss again. Sprinkle with remaining parsely and mizithra cheese

Share your favorite pasta recipes! I love to cook and would love to try them.

4 comments:

ying-ko-4 said...

How do you feel about pasta recipes that don't turn out well, Sis? LOL!

My favorite pasta is the box mac & cheese...(not really....)

Psychgrad said...

The ingredients sounds good. I haven't heard of mizithra though. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Chef Tom said...

What does mizithra cheese taste like ?

Katie's blog said...

If it is a soft mizithra, it is similar to ricoctta; what I bought was aged more and had a texture closer and flavor more closely related to parmesean. It is a mild white - snow white cheese.