Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Little Meal on the Prairie


I wrote in one of my previous posts about a person that I would love to meet. That person was Laura Ingalls Wilder. One day a couple of years ago, my two friends and I went to Mansfield, MO to visit her house. It was a lovely day. I had gone there when I was 15 with my grandparents and it was really nice to go back. While we were there, I bought a cookbook with recipes written by Laura. I thought it might be interesting to cook some of the things she cooked.

This first dish I prepared is swiss steak - Almonzo's favorite. It was an easy recipe, but there wasn't much spice to it. I ended up adding steak seasoning and serving it over a bed of spinach pasta. The meat, however, was very tender. While I liked the premise and ease of the dish, I will modify it to suit our spicier tastes if I make it again.

Almonzo's Favorite Swiss Steak

1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2-3 pounds round steak
2 tblsp butter
2 tblsp oil
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup diluted with 2 cans milk or water

1. Combine flour and seasonings

2. Pound flour into both sides of steak and let stand for 1/2 hour

3. Heat butter and oil in large skillet. Brown steak on both sides. Add garlic and cook for one minute.

4. Add soup and simmer for one to two hours, until meat is tender. Cooking time will depend upon thickness and tenderness of the meat.

I cooked the steak in an electric skillet and added steak seasoning at the end of the cooking. While this wasn't my favorite recipe, I plan on trying more of her recipes.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I hope the next recipe you try is more to your liking! And the trip to Mansfield was wonderful with such great company!!! :-)