Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Friday, May 23, 2008

Taste and Create


Each month, For the Love of Food hosts the event, Taste and Create. Bloggers are paired with each other and the object is to prepare a dish from your partner's blog. This is my first month participating in Taste and Create. My partner for this month from More Than Burnt Toast is a mom from Canada. If you get a chance, go visit her blog; not only does she have some great recipes, her pictures are wonderful and her blog is full of great posts. I especially like the one honoring her mother.


For my dish I created Mediterranean Pasta with Ricotta and Feta. While my picture doesn't do justice to the dish, it was wonderful. After reading other posts from Taste and Create, I learned that lots of bloggers change the recipe a little bit to suit their tastes or suit what's in their fridge at the time. I am the opposite - I always follow the recipe to the "T" the first time. After, if I need to I change it to suit my family. This recipe, however, is very good and I won't change anything. After I made it, I took it accross the street to my neighbor - she called me a little while ago to tell me it was a winner. She is often my cooking guinia pig and I value her opinion.


This is a really nice light pasta salad that is great by itself for a quick lunch or dinner, or it can be paired with a light meat such as chicken. I also think grilled chicken could be added to the salad for those who love meat - like my husband. What follows is the recipe. I really enjoyed my first Taste and Create. What I really like about this dish is the cheese. Using ricotta in a cold pasta salad is new for me and I really enjoyed the flavor.

**Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Ricotta & Feta**

Dressing:
1/2 large red onion, (about 5 ounces), finely chopped
1/4 cup + 2 T fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano leaves (or, use 1 T dried oregano)
3 T finely chopped fresh dill, (or, use 2 tsp dried dill)
2 T red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

For the salad:

1 pound fusilli (corkscrew) or penne pasta
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes (or approximately two dozen), halved
1 English cucumber (about 12 ounces) quartered lengthwise,then sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (alternatively, use 2 medium cucumbers, peel and seed them, cut as directed)
1 cup kalamata olives, (about 4 ounces) pitted and halved
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste1-
1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
3/4 cup (6 ounces) ricotta cheese3/4 cup (4 ounces) crumbled California cow's milk Feta cheese1 ounce crumbled Feta cheese, for garnish

Combine all dressing ingredients except for the oil, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil until it is thoroughly combined with the other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand for at least 30 minutes. (Can be made the day before and refrigerated.)

Bring 3 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of kosher salt to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes, or until the pasta is tender but still slightly firm to the bite. Drain (do not rinse) and let cool to room temperature, mixing occasionally. When cool, place in a large bowl and add the dressing. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix until the dressing is well distributed. Add the remaining ingredients except salt and pepper and 1 ounce of Feta for garnish. Let stand for 1/2 hour. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining crumbled Feta and serve.

Serves 8
TIP: You may omit the salt depending on the saltiness of your feta

4 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

I am so glad that you had a chance to make this Mediterranean pasta salad Katie...and to have your neighbours approval is very flattering as well.I can't wait to see the lineup for this months T & C. I love the fact that you decided to join because I enjoyed browsing through your blog and searching out a delicious recipe to prepare for my family:D

Elle said...

That looks delicious! It'll be perfect for the summer! I wish i was your neighbor. :)

Aparna said...

I was paired up with Val too and made her potato bread. Was really good.

Kiriel du Papillon said...

mmm.. sounds lovely. and what a lovely idea, to encourage people to actively use other bloggers recipes!