Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Taste and Create - Linguini with Tomatoes, Basil and Mozzarella

Each month, For the Love of Food hosts the event, Taste and Create. Bloggers are paired with each other and the object is to prepare a dish from your partner's blog. This is my first month participating in Taste and Create. My partner for this month from Eat the Right Stuff hails from England where she studies nutrition. Her blog is full of healthy recipes that look fabulous!

For this month's event, I decided to prepare Tomato and Melting Mozzarella Linguine. I feel like I am repeating a theme. One of my goals like I have said before, is to prepare dishes that I already have food for. Looking through my partner's blog this month, I saw that I had all the ingredients that I needed to make this light, refreshing pasta.
Not only was the dish easy to prepare, it was extremely tasty as well. Since the recipe called for basil, I used chopped tomatoes with basil, that I already had on hand. I bought them shopping onthe hill in St. Louis. I didn't mean to buy them, but boy, are they good. Anyway, I didn't have a pepper, so I substituted chili pepper flakes. The basil, as usual, came from my front porch.

While my family really liked the flavor of the pasta, I think next time I will either add some meat - shrimp or sausage, or serve it as a side dish. My husband feels that dinner isn't dinner if there is no meat on the table.

Again, I really enjoyed Taste and Create - each month it gets better and better. What I especially like is the fact that I get to really get to know someone else's blog and try other recipes. What follows is the recipe I used. The link above is the original recipe Enjoy.

Tomato and Melting Mozzarella Linguine (serves 4) I doubled the original recipe

One pound pasta – I used linguine, spaghetti or boccatini would also be nice
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 chili flake
28 oz can chopped tomatoes with basil - or without
1 teaspoon sugar
salt & pepper
a large handful of chopped basil
2 balls of mozzarella, cut into 1-2cm cubes

Cook pasta until al dente. Heat the olive oil and gently fry the garlic and chili until they begin to soften and you can smell their aroma. add the tomatoes and sugar (this helps bring out the tomato flavour and avoids the need to use tomato puree) and simmer until the sauce thickens. season to taste.

Drain the pasta add the basil and mozzarella to the tomato sauce, don’t stir them. when you have plated up the pasta and are ready to put the sauce on top give it a quick stir - this means the mozzarella doesn’t melt too much before you get to eat it. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

recipes2share said...

This looks really tasty - it would be great to hear what your partner made too?

Katie's blog said...

I will let you know as soon as she posts!

abby said...

hey katie, i'm glad you liked the dish and that your carniverous family coped without a meaty accompaniment!

recipes2share - i posted a few days ago, i made katie's chilli.

Teresa said...

This looks delicious! All my favorite flavors: tomatoes, mozz and basil. Yum!