Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Homey Food at the Cozy Corner

Ok, I admit it, I really like Guy's show, Diners, Drive ins, and Dives. Being the cool guy that he is, Guy did a show featuring BBQ joints in Memphis, the town we were to spend a few days in. With pen in hand, I eagarly watched and jotted down all the places Guy went to during the episode. We chose two of them for this trip. One place we went to was Marlowe's. That restaurant is located near Graceland. Cozy Corner, on the other hand, is on North Parkway.

When I was little, my dad used to make me fried bologna sandwiches. It wasn't until I watched this episode of Diners, Drive ins, and Dives, that I learned someone else actually made them too. Cozy Corner is celbrating 30 years in business. It was started by a couple, Desiree and Raymond. Raymond passed away five years ago and Desiree runs the restaurant today.

It is a simple place - nothing pretentious, just good food and nice people. I of course had the bologna sandwich, while Steve had the sausage sandwich. Each was covered in bbq sauce and served with cole slaw on the sandwich. A very interesting twist on a sandwich. For our side dish, we chose bbq spagetti. While very different from Marlowe's, the spagetti was very good. There wasn't any meat in it, but the sauce was very good. It had a bite to it that Marlowe's didn't have. I really enjoyed it.
The restaurant is very simple. There are no waiters or waitresses; orders are taken at the counter. Customers get a number and get their food when their number is called. It is a very casual atmoshpere, and the food is prepared simply without any pretention.

The sandwich was great! It was almost lilke being a kid again. The bologna was grilled on a flattop with bbq sauce. Many napkins were used by both my husband and me. We both thoroughly enjoyed the meal very much and the staff was very friendly and appreciative of our business. I would go back again.

1 comment:

Elle said...

Katie, catching up on your travels had made me very hungry. :)