Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, June 30, 2008

Lorenzo's Trattoria - A Restaurant Review

Three friends and I went to Lorenzo’s last week for dinner. We have I think, named ourselves the “St. Jacob Ladies Dining Club. Every few months someone chooses a restaurant and off we go. This last time, it was to the Hill in St. Louis. Lorenzo’s Trattoria, the chosen restaurant for the month, is known for its contemporary Italian menu.

Located in a 100-year-old building, the restaurant’s décor is very mild and restful. While the look and feel of the place is Tuscan, the charm of the Hill is evident throughout the restaurant. We were seated at a table for four to the left of the bar. There was a private party around the bar – I didn’t get a chance to look at that area.

Our waiter was very nice and he seemed knowledgeable enough. He explained the specials and took our drink order. I ordered a margarita – my personal favorite, Heather ordered white wine, and Beth tried to order a pina colada. They couldn’t make frozen drinks and suggested a martini – fruit flavored instead. She was told that if she didn’t like it she wouldn’t have to pay for it. Heather, Patti, and I all thought it tasted very good – strong, but good. Beth, on the other hand, didn't seem to like it very much.

I started with the crab cake, served over a bed of arugula and topped with a basil aioli. Very tasty, not dry at all and quite filling for only one crab cake. For my salad, I chose the tomato and mozzarella with basil and dressing; fresh and perfect for the summer. For my main course I had the seafood pasta – I am a sucker for seafood pasta. Included in the dish were shrimp, mussels, scallops, fish, and tomatoes all dressed up in a white wine sauce. It was good, although I feel that I could have gotten the same dish at any restaurant. Maybe I should have ordered one of their risottos or their osso bucco, which they are known for. I have decided that my next restaurant visit will most definitely include one of the house specialties.

Overall, I think it was a very good dining experience. The price wasn’t exorbitant, the service was very good, and the company was great.

Pictured above: Crab cakes and Tomato Mozzarella Salad.

No comments: