Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Orzo Chicken Salad

My friend was coming over for lunch the other day and I had the great idea to make Roasted Shrimp and Orzo. Luckily I asked her if she liked shrimp and of course, she said no. Scrambling, I thought to myself, "What am I going to make?" After looking in the fridge, I saw roasted chicken breasts and thighs, along with a cucumber, and some tomatoes. I decided to make up my own orzo chicken salad.

Roasted Chicken and Orzo Salad

1/2 lb. Orzo - I used lemon, cilantro and parsley orzo
2 chicken breasts
2 chicken thighs
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tbsp olive oil
10 cherry tomatoes
1/2 English cucumber
1 handful chopped fresh parsley
1 small handful chopped fresh dill
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 425. Coat chicken in olive oil and Italian Seasonings. (I mix mine in a bowl) Put chicken on a cookie sheet and cook for 10-15 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and let chicken cool - tear apart with a fork and put in large bowl.

Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and let cool. Combine with chicken Cut tomatoes in half, slice cucumber into small pieces, chop dill, Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, and parsley. Add all to chicken except dill and parsley.

In a separate bowl, make dressing.

1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 scant teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp Italian seasoning
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients except olive oil and salt and pepper. Drizzle in oil while mixing with a whisk to emulsify. Add to chicken and orzo mixture. Stir to combine. Add parsley and dill, combine. Chill for 1 hour to all flavors to combine.

Lunch was very good and the chicken salad luckily turned out very well. I served it with salmon spread I had made the day before, and Italian bread,

1 comment:

Elle said...

That's what I call a delicious way to "wing it!"