Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Challenge Week Three: Summertime Chicken Pasta Salad

For my third week of this challenge, I decided to make a chicken salad again. I decided this because my friend, who came for lunch today, said she liked my chicken salad that I made last time she was here. Not wanting to make the same thing again, I looked in my fridge to see what ingredients I had. Seeing that I had grilled chicken thighs, tomatoes, peppers, olives, parsley, and dill, I decided to try a fresh chicken pasta salad.

With Rachel’s fresh fruit, we had a very healthy, light, tasty lunch. The pasta salad was fresh, yet light with a little tang from the lemony dressing and a little bite from the peppers. The neat thing about this dish is that you can basically clean out your fridge with it. Thinking about it later, one could put asparagus, feta cheese, cucumbers, black olives, or anything that comes to mind. The only change I would make is to add more dressing. The pasta soaked up all the dressing, leaving a great flavor, but also leaving the salad a little dry.

½ pound vermicelli – broken into thirds
3 grilled chicken thighs or 2 grilled chicken breasts separated with a fork*
1 red, green, or yellow bell pepper julienned
1 tomato diced
1 cup sliced green or black olives
1/3 cup parsley chopped
Kosher salt and pepper

Cook vermicelli per package directions – split into thirds prior to cooking. Rinse under cold water to cool off pasta. To pasta add chicken, pepper, tomato, olives, and parsley. Stir to combine. Add dressing – recipe follows – combine and chill for 1 hour to let flavors blend. Serves 4.

Dressing

Juice of one lemon
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 scant teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup dill
½ tsp salt – more if needed
1 tsp pepper – more or less if needed
¾ cup olive oil

Combine all ingredients except olive oil in bowl. With a wire whisk,
whisk in oil slowly to combine.

*Chicken was grilled with olive oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What a great blog you have! I love the looks and sounds of this chicken pasta salad. 2 of my favorites in one great dish!! I look forward to visiting often!

Katie's blog said...

Thank you very much. I enjoy your blog too!!