Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cooking Challenge Week 2 - Mexican Lasagna

For this week’s challenge, I decided to make Mexican Lasagna Rolls. Using only those ingredients I had on hand, off I went on my culinary journey. Looking through my pantry and fridge, I found green chilies, black beans, tomato sauce, salsa – we have, like 12 different kinds, noodles, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, adobo sauce, and chorizo sausage. I got the idea watching a cooking show where Giada made Italian lasagna rolls. I liked the idea and decided to try my own version.

I liked the recipe I made, but I will have to change it a little for the next time. My husband liked it, but he suggested that next time, I might try refried beans. I fully intended to put fresh cilantro in the dish – I have some too – but, my kids were either whining or changing to get in the pool, and hubby was trying to teach a lesson to my oldest, hence the whining.

Ok, like I said, Hubby liked it, but thought it need a little tweaking; the kids, not so much. Me? Well, I don’t think I rolled the lasagna rolls correctly. I just put a dollop on the end and rolled. I feel that there was more pasta than filling. The flavor, however, was very good. Next time I will remember the cilantro; the freshness will really do something for the lasagna. I think I might also add cream cheese in place of the ricotta in traditional lasagna.

On Tuesday I went to the Hill with my friend, Robin. I bought some stuffed olives with gorgonzola – totally splendiferous. I decided to take a picture of them in a martini glass minus the martini. Needless to say, there are no more olives left. I have to go back to the Hill for more.

Mexican Lasagna

1 lb. Chorizo sausage
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can green chilies
8 oz tomato sauce
1 tsp adobo seasoning
½ cup cheddar cheese
½ cup mozzarella cheese
2 cups salsa – your choice
1/2 cup tortilla crumbs - located where bread crumbs are in the grocery store.
1 lb lasagna noodles cooked per package directions.

Brown sausage, remove from pan and drain. Sausage will be greasy. Cook garlic in same pan, set aside. While sausage is cooking, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain on sheet pan with cooling rack – lay lasagna flat. In large bowl add beans and slightly mash with fork. Add garlic, green chilies, tomato sauce, and Adobo seasoning. Mix together. In a 9 x 13 pan, pour ¼ cup salsa on bottom. Spread each lasagna noodle with the sausage and bean mixture and roll up. Place each lasagna roll in the pan. When pan is full cover with rest of salsa, add cheese and tortilla crumbs, and cover with aluminum foil. Cook in oven until cheese melts and mixture is bubbling. Remove foil and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until cheese is browned. Let lasagna cool for 5 minutes and serve with sour cream.

1 comment:

Elle said...

That looks wonderful, and what a great idea! Even better is that you made it from what you already had on hand.

Left you an award on my blog...