Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Cooking Challenge - Week One

For my cooking challenge this week I got my inspiration from. Elle's New England Kitchen She made Beef Stroganoff, one of my favorite dishes. I had some leftover chicken and decided to try Chicken Stroganoff. I really liked the idea of the one pot dish since it is summer and I don’t want to heat up the kitchen too much, but then I saw a recipe for parmesan popovers and just had to heat the oven and make those – more about that later.

Anyway, in keeping with the summer theme, I chose my ingredients carefully. I wanted the stroganoff to have a light, clean, summery taste. With that in mind, I chose tarragon not only because it pairs well with chicken, but also because my babysitter has it in her garden. Lemon was also tops on my list because it adds a bright cheery, summery flavor to any dish. Garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley rounded out my herbs and spices.

I was a little hesitant to put in sour cream until I talked to a friend of mine who said that the sour cream in traditional stroganoff gave it a somewhat tangy taste, so I decided to keep it in. Thoughts for replacements were mascarpone or fresh mozzarella – thank goodness; that would have been waay too much liquid.

The flavor of the stroganoff turned out well, I thought; however, I think – no, I know, I used too much liquid. It turned out a little soupy. For the ingredient list, I will put a reduced amount of chicken stock.

Chicken Stroganoff

2 chicken breasts
2 chicken thighs
6 tbsp olive oil - divided
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
3 cloves garlic – chopped fine
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
1 ½ cup white wine – your choice
1 quart chicken stock – I used more; this is a guess, you might have to adjust
1 lb short pasta – your choice
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp fresh tarragon – chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Juice of one lemon
Kosher salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat chicken in 1/2 olive oil and Italian seasoning. (I mix together in a bowl.) Put chicken on a cookie sheet and cook for 10-15 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and let chicken cool - tear apart with a fork and set aside.

Heat oil in electric or large skillet. Cook garlic and pepper for 1-2 minutes until soft. Add wine and let reduce by half. Add chicken and let cook on medium low heat for 3-4 minutes. Add chicken stock, bring to boil and add pasta – let cook until pasta is al dente. Stir in flour to thicken sauce – oil has been added earlier. Add lemon juice, tarragon, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes and serve.

The popovers smelled great – my husband came home and was excited about trying them. Unfortunately, they weren’t what we thought they would be. I think I followed the recipe correctly; however, a mistake is not something I haven’t made before. I will try them again, but may just a different recipe. My kids seemed to like them, so all was not lost. The biggest problem is that the aroma didn’t match the taste at all – such a big disappointment. Dinner was good – it always is when you eat with family.

3 comments:

Melly/Melody/or Mel said...

I love the idea of chicken stroganoff..especially since I am not eating much red meat these days!

Katie's blog said...

I will be tweaking the recipe - I think I will add mushrooms next time. I didn't have any this time.

Elle said...

Katie, what a great idea! I love the changes you made to this. Looks delicious!