Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Light Summer Dinner

It seems that often I put pasta dishes and meat dishes on my blog. Tonight, I decided to cook a much lighter dinner, one that while I often cook, I never thought about putting on my blog. Although I don’t use fresh asparagus all the time, the preparation of the fish is something my family likes. It is easy to prepare and is quite tasty. Along with the fish and asparagus I served asiago cheese bread.

Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, and my kids are starting to like it too. Trying to get kids to eat vegetables is sometimes a very difficult thing to do. Tonight wasn’t so bad. There was some grumbling, but the kids finally managed to eat some of the asparagus.

Oven Baked Tilapia

4 fresh Tilapia filets
Olive oil
Fresh thyme
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
Minced garlic
Juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 415 degrees. Place fish filets on sheet pan and drizzle olive oil over fish. Season with thyme, salt, pepper, lemon, and garlic. Cook in oven 10 minutes or until done. Cooking time depends on size and thickness of filets. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

Asparagus

1 bunch fresh asparagus.
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
Minced garlic
About 1/2 to 1 cup white wine
Juice of one half lemon

Clean asparagus. Heat large skillet, add olive oil, asparagus, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add wine and salt and pepper. Bring wine to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Reduce wine by 1/3. Add salt, pepper, and lemon. Serve immediately.

While dinner was easy to cook, it was quite tasty and very light and healthy. The thyme and lemon gave the fish a very fresh summery taste. Tilapia is such a nice white fish with a mild flavor. It takes other flavors very well. Adding the wine to the asparagus didn't cause the vegetable to become limp. It only added another layer of flavor to my side dish. Just like the fish, the lemon added that summery taste to the asparagus as well.

No comments: