Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Taste and Create - Roasted Potatoes with Shrimp and Prosciutto

Each month For the Love of Food hosts the event, Taste and Create. It is a fun event that I look forward to each month. This month I was paired with Dolores from Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity. Dolores hails from California – a state I would love to visit. Anyway, I had a lot of fun looking through her blog – there were so many choices! I finally selected Shrimp Roasted with Potatoes and Prosciutto. I think what I really liked about making the dish was that it only used one pan for baking, making for easy clean up. It was so good. My oldest ate two or three helpings, while my youngest really liked the shrimp and potatoes, not the prosciutto so much.

I love a good shrimp recipe and we will most definitely be eating this one again. I used baby Yukon Gold potatoes; I find them to be my go to potato. The prosciutto comes from Volpi's on the Hill in Saint Louis. I really like using local ingredients whenever I can. I would have used my own parsley, but for whatever reason, it won’t grow. My basil and rosemary grow, but I digress. I have often roasted shrimp with salt and pepper and olive oil, but I have never added lemon zest when I roast. It added a very nice summery flavor. I just love roasted shrimp and this is a great addition to my roasted shrimp recipe file.


Shrimp Roasted with Potatoes & Prosciutto
Fine Cooking Magazine, January 2008
1-1/2 lb. yellow or red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. kosher salt; more as needed
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1-1/2 lb. large shrimp (21 to 25 per lb.), peeled and deveined
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 lb. thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven, and put a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet on the rack. Heat the oven to 500°F.In a medium bowl, toss the potatoes with 3 Tbs. of the oil and the salt and cayenne. Carefully spread the potatoes in a single layer on the preheated baking sheet. Roast, loosening and turning the potatoes with a metal spatula after 15 minutes, until tender and golden, 20 to 25 minutes total.
Meanwhile, pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. In a medium bowl, toss them with the remaining 1 Tbs. oil, the lemon zest, a pinch of salt, and 2 to 3 grinds of pepper.Stir the prosciutto and garlic into the potatoes and continue to roast for another 5 minutes. Push the potatoes to one side of the pan and add the shrimp to the empty side. Spread in a single layer and roast until the shrimp curl and are just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley, stir everything together, and serve immediately.

5 comments:

Dolores said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe as much as I did. Fine Cooking is one of my favorite resources for recipe ideas.

Maya said...

Shrimp and prosciutto sounds like a good combo.

Katie's blog said...

Thanks, it was really good!

HoneyB said...

This looks delicious...like something we would love here at our home!

Katie's blog said...

Thanks. It was a success at our our house. My oldest son ate 3 helpings!