Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Three Cheese Risotto

Risotto is an Italian rice dish that is made by gently sautéing rice in olive oil and onions, then gradually adding stock to it. The dish is very creamy, yet the rice retains its texture and is al dente. For the first time, I made risotto. I chose a cheese risotto with Parmigiano-Reggiano, Asiago, and Romano cheeses. It seemed to me to be the easiest to start with. While my kids weren’t crazy about it, both my husband and I liked it.

I prepped everything in advance, so that I could stir without tying to pour or measure. For some reason, I was slightly intimidated by risotto; I thought that it would be more difficult to make than it was. Granted, I made a very basic recipe – I will be increasing the level of difficulty the next time I make a risotto. I pulled some recipes and will be looking for more. Following is the recipe that I used for my risotto dish. The only thing I did differently from the recipe was that I slowly added the stock to the rice, onions, garlic, and olive oil. I also added more than one tablespoon of olive oil; I added about two tablespoons. All other steps were the same

Three Cheese Risotto – recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
Salt and white pepper
6 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 pound Arborio rice
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 cup grated Romaino cheese
1/4 cup grated Asigo cheese
2 tablespoons chopped chives

In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until the onions are slightly soft. Add the stock and garlic. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 6 minutes. Add the rice and simmer for 18 minutes, stirring constantly, or until the mixture is creamy and bubbly. Add the butter, cream, cheese and chives. Reseason with salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes and serve immediately.

3 comments:

recipes2share said...

What a beautiful photo - thank you! I love risotto but I make it so infrequently, I think you may have inspired me to make this for dinner this evening.

Katie's blog said...

I am glad you liked it. I really enjoyed making it, and I have been working on my pictures.

Elle said...

Looks delicious--great photo! I haven't made risotto in ages!