Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, July 14, 2008

Pork Steak and Potatoes

Tonight I made one of our favorite potato dishes: Fingerling potatoes with Aioli. They are totally to die for. We had them with pork steaks, and fresh sautéed spinach with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

The recipe for the aioli comes from Ina Garten. I made it on a whim one night for my husband, thinking garlic, lemons, and olive oil are three of my favorite ingredients. When they are paired together, look out. I didn’t prepare the potatoes the way Ina did in her recipe. I chose to roast mine in the oven with olive oil, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. They are the potatoes my family loves and looks forward to when I make them.

I really love the color of the aioli. The yellow from the egg yolks pairs well with the red of the saffron and green of the green onions. This aioli has a fresh lemony garlic taste that is very refreshing and a wonderful change from just serving plain potatoes.

Roasted Potatoes
2 lbs fingerling potatoes
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
Minced garlic

Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Clean potatoes and quarter. Place in microwaveable bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Remove from microwave add oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. I didn’t put measurements because, while I like a lot of seasoning on my potatoes, someone else may not. Season how you like. Place potatoes on sprayed sheet pan and cook for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Serve with aioli.

While pork steaks aren’t my favorite, they are my husband and kids’ favorite food. In fact we are making them two weeks in a row to test a theory. Usually I season the pork steaks with salt and pepper, and hubby grills them until they are almost done, then puts them in a roaster with BBQ sauce and slow cooks them at 250 degrees for 2-3 hours. He swears that the pork steaks taste better cooked in the roaster versus the crock pot or open roaster that we have used in the past.

The roaster in question is an old Wagner Ware roaster/dutch oven that was given to me by my grandmother about five years ago. I remember all the Thanksgiving turkeys cooked in that roaster along with many roasts, ham loaf – that is a wonderful dinner, and other meats. Up until the past two years, I didn’t use the roaster because it didn’t fit in the oven. My old oven was a Jenn-Air – because of the downdraft, the oven is much smaller than regular ovens. Anyway all the meat I cook in the roaster comes out very tender and flavorful. I know my grandma would be glad that we are getting so much enjoyment out of it.

In fact my husband is so impressed by this roaster that we are taking it with us to Ohio next month when we visit my family and cook pork steaks for them. This is something my other grandmother looks forward to each year. She is 97 years old this year – we don’t want to disappoint her; every time we talk to her she tells us how much she is looking forward to not only seeing us, but also to eating Hubby’s pork steak.

What I love most about a meal like this is that the family eats together and enjoys not only the meal, but the company. Pork steak is one of my kids’ favorite meals and when they know we are making them, they talk about it quite a bit because they are excited. I will always remember pork steak as my not only my husband’s favorite food, but also the one thing he truly enjoys making.

1 comment:

Beth said...

OK, so tell me what this aioli stuff tastes like. Is it basically a dip for the potatoes? It seems like it makes a lot if you're only using it for a dip. I am confused! Help!