Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Cooking with no Power

I was so excited today. I went to the store to buy some boneless pork chops and mozzarella cheese. The reason for the excitement was two new recipes I was going to try on the grill. I know, I know, I have been working on cooking with only those items I have on hand. I am allowed to slip a time or two, right? The first recipe allowed me to use this wonderful beef spedini meat I had purchased on the Hill in St. Louis. The second recipe called for boneless pork chops for a Cuban pork dinner. I prepped up all the ingredients and was ready to put everything on the grill, and then the weather changed.

We had a terrible thunderstorm; it even caused the power to go out while I was cooking everything on the stove. I had potatoes in the oven, pork chops stuffed with ham, cheese, and pickles on the stove, spedini ready to go and asparagus all prepped too. Luckily for us I have a gas stove; so the stove works, while the oven doesn’t. I turned off the oven and hoped the potatoes would finish with any residual heat. While the boys held the flashlight, I finished cooking the meat and the asparagus.

Being the total photographer that I am – insert laugh here – I was so proud because I had taken pictures of almost every step and I will be posting them. It is the finished product that I really don’t have. My littlest went on the porch with me to try and salvage some pictures while my oldest son held a flashlight while I tried to take pictures in the dark inside. I will be happy to post those too. My husband said that he would suffer through me making this meal again so that I could have some good pictures. The next time I make this, it will be on the grill.

I was thrilled to have the power come back on about 1 ½ hours later, only to find out that we had no internet. We are wireless and something must have happened to the tower. I will have to call tomorrow. I had just settled down to watch some tv; it was getting late after all, when all of a sudden – yep you guessed it – the power blew again. No storm, just no power either. Here I sit in the dark typing on my laptop thankful that at least, I had this battery charged up. My cell phone is about ½ gone.

Cuban Pork Dinner – swiped from Grill It with Bobby Flay. I couldn’t get the entire recipe as I had no power and now no internet either.

4 boneless pork chops butterflied and pounded to ¼ inch
2 oranges juiced
2 limes juiced
½ - 1 cup olive oil
1 large handful cilantro chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
Salt
Pepper
4 slices ham
4 slices swiss cheese
2 pickles sliced thinly length wise into 4 slices each

Marinate pork in oranges, limes, olive oil, cilantro, garlic, and salt and pepper for at least 2 hours. Take pork out of marinade, place 1 slice ham, cheese, and 2 pickle slices on 1 side of pork. Fold in half. Place on grill and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes or until done. Let meat rest for a few minutes and serve.

Beef Spedini – I saw this being prepared on the Today show today.

1 lb. beef spedini meat
¾ lb. mozzarella cheese cut into strips the length of the spedini meat
8 oz prosciutto ham
Fresh basil leaves
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Take a piece of beef spedini, place it on board. Add prosciutto, basil, and cheese. Roll and skewer with two skewers. Keep doing this until all meat is used. Put on sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Cook on grill 2 minutes on each side or until medium rare. Let rest for 3-4 minutes and serve.

While our dinner turned out very well – eating in the dark is loads of fun, especially with two kids. I enjoyed the evening, but I don’t look forward to cleaning up in the daylight tomorrow. My goodness, it is getting quite warm in here. I hope the power comes back soon.





2 comments:

Cate said...

Anything with warm melty cheese, and I am there. Sounds delicious, and you were quite the trooper given the challenges! :)

Katie's blog said...

Everything turned out really well. I will have to make it again.