Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, September 1, 2008

End of Summer BBQs

It is getting to be the end of bbq season, so we grilled last night. we don’t, however, let the end of summer dictate our grilling schedule. If the weather is decent, we grill. The entire family loves to eat food grilled and my little one loves to especially eat outside either by the pool or on the deck at the picnic table made for us by our good friends across the street.

Since one of my friends from home was visiting, we decided to make cheeseburgers, and I decided to try lamb chops just for giggles. I had bought some at the Farmer’s Market in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t think too much about her eating schedule, so I know we ate way past her bedtime. She seemed to like the food though, so all was not lost. Even though we didn’t do much, I really enjoyed my visit. It is great to hear about people from home. We talked and talked about the people and places that I grew up with. Since I don’t get home very much it is really nice.

I tried a little something different with the cheeseburgers – I put the cheese inside; fresh mozzarella. Mmm mmmm, good. The cheese was nice and melty, but not so much that it made the burgers mushy. Served with arugula lettuce and fresh tomatoes, the burgers were a hit.

The lamb chops were marinated in rosemary, thyme, garlic, and olive oil. I tried to make a paste in the food processor, but wasn’t too terribly successful with that so I just dolloped the marinade on the chops and left them in the fridge for an hour or so before grilling. The flavor was wonderful – I had forgotten how good lamb was. We used to eat it quite a bit when I was growing up. It brought back some good memories. The next time I go to the meat market in St. Louis, I will be sure to get some more lamb. Maybe next time I will try a rack of lamb.

With the chops and burgers, we also had oven roasted potatoes with garlic, salt and pepper, along with a crisp salad with fresh homemade Italian dressing. It was a satisfying meal that seemed to work for everyone.

Summer is coming to an end, but the memories of our first summer with the pool will stay alive, not only in our minds, but also in the food we make.

Melty Mozzarella Cheeseburgers

3 lbs. hamburger
4 cloves garlic minced
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground pepper
Sliced fresh mozzarella – sliced thinly

Make two thin patties per burger. Put a slice of cheese on one burger and place another patty on top of the cheese. Pat two patties together so that cheese is sealed tightly between both patties. Heat grill to medium high, place burgers on grill and cook to desired doneness. Be careful about turning burger too much as the cheese might ooze out the burger. Let burgers sit for a couple of minutes before serving.

Lamb Chops –adapted from Everyday Italian

6-8 lamb chops trimmed
2 tablespoon fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1-2 pinches cayenne pepper

Once all herbs are chopped mix together with a mortar and pestle, slowly add olive oil and mix together. Spread mixture on lamb chops and let sit in refrigerator for at least one hour. Remove from fridge and bring to room temperature for about 20 minutes before grilling. Place on medium high grill and grill for 2 minutes on first side, 3 minutes on second side for medium rare. Add 1-2 minutes on second side for medium. Let sit for 5 minutes and serve.

No comments: