Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Soup, Travel, Family, and Living Green

I just got back from a trip to Canada yesterday – got to spend time with family. It was great. Since it was such a fast trip, though, I arrived home tired. Flying out early Saturday morning meant I had to get up at 4:00 a.m. to get to the airport on time. There are several things about Canada that I like. The main thing being that live a much greener life than we do. They even have plans to ban bottled water.

Anyway, on to dinner. The whole time I was gone I wanted to cook dinner for my family. Strange I know, but that is just the way it is. The night I got home, I ended up ordering out because I was just tired, tired, tired. Tonight though, I decided to make Beef Vegetable Noodle Soup. I did use one pound of sausage and one pound of beef, so maybe I should call it Sausage Beef Vegetable Noodle Soup. It was my aunt's recipe, and Benny was sure to point out to me that Aunt Violet's carrots are better than mine - oh well, at least he eats carrots. I will have to call my aunt and see what carrots she uses.

1 lb ground sausage
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion diced
4 cloves garlic minced
½ medium head cabbage cut into small pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 quarts beef stock
1 can 14 oz. diced tomatoes
¾ lb. frozen mixed vegetables
1 tbsp chili powder
¾ lb noodles – your choice

Brown meat in large stock pot, drain meat. Add onions, garlic and cabbage, cook until cabbage is wilted and soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and beef stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil add noodles, chili powder and vegetables. Cook until noodles are done. Serve immediately.

5 comments:

Kendra said...

that sounds really good i think that i might make it for me

Kendra said...

that sounds really good i think i am going to make it for me

Andie_D_D said...

I really don't like vegetable soup, but i have to admit that yours looks pretty good. =D

Stephanie said...

Hi! I'm your Taste & Create partner this month. This soup looks great. I'm looking forward to going through your recipes!! :-)

Sophie said...

I always miss cooking when I'm away from home too :). Your aunt's soup sounds delicious! I'd like to include it on our blog, please let me know if you're interested :).

Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com