Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Soft Shell Crab for Sunday Dinner

I am always looking for interesting items to cook. When we were on vacation before the boys were born, Hubby and I took a vacation out east. Not only did we go to Williamsburg, we also went to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. That was one of the first times we had soft shell crab. It was really, really good. I thought about that dinner when I saw the soft shell crab on sale at the grocery store.

Having never cooked crab before, I had to search on the internet to find a video that showed how to clean soft shell crab. I must admit that I felt pretty silly in the kitchen, cleaning crab, watching a video, cleaning crab – you get the picture. Anyway, I also looked up recipes for crab and decided on frying. Next time I will try a different way.

Anyway, I found that most people did the same thing when frying soft shell crab. The crab is cleaned – see video – then soaked in buttermilk with crab boil seasoning, kosher salt, and pepper. Soak for one hour in the refrigerator. Take out of refrigerator, drain excess milk and dredge in flour heavily seasoned with kosher salt and pepper. Fry in a large shallow skillet three minutes on each side. Drain on a paper towel.

I served my crab with salad. For my salad, I used romaine lettuce, hard boiled eggs, pancetta, tomatoes, feta cheese, and ranch dressing – I was getting a little lazy by this time, so I just used my store bought dressing. I had planned on making green goddess dressing from scratch, but scrapped the idea and took the easy way out. The crab was wonderful – I will definitely make it again.

1 comment:

KELLY said...

Yum!

I was nice meeting you tonight. Thanks for reading my blog!

Kelly
Sounding My Barbaric Gulp!
http://www.barbaricgulp.com