Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cube Steak with Gravy and Noodles

As I have stated before, we get a side of beef each year. With it comes many different cuts of beef. We love the steaks and roasts, but are sometimes wondering what we should do with some of our cuts. Cube steak is one of those cuts. I know that you can make Country Fried Steak, but I like to try somewhat healthier alternatives. For dinner tonight, I decided to make Cube Steak and Gravy.

I just bought a 5 quart Le Creuset Braiser and decided to try it out with my cube steaks. I sautéed my steaks in olive oil, removed them from the pan, added garlic and onion, and sautéed that. After the onions and garlic were sautéed; I deglazed my pan with red wine. To the onions and garlic, I added beef stock and steak seasoning, some roux to thicken my gravy.

While my dinner was cooking, a lovely aroma filled the house. There are some things I really love about cold weather – one of them being the comfort food that I always love to make.

Cube Steaks with Gravy and Noodles

3 lb cube steak cut into about 2 in pieces.
Salt and pepper
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion chopped
2 tsp steak seasoning
1 -2 jars – 6 oz sliced mushrooms, or fresh. Whichever you prefer. I used jarred because I had them in my pantry.
1 quart beef stock
½ to 1 cup red wine
Olive oil – two turns of the pan
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 large sprig rosemary, minced
1 lb noodles – your choice. I used Gemelli and my kids loved their shape!
1 handful parsley chopped

Season steaks with salt and pepper. Heat up pan with olive oil to medium high, brown steaks in pan. Remove meat and sauté onions and garlic until softened. Deglaze pan with red wine. Add beef stock and steak seasoning, bring to a slow boil. While bringing to a boil make a light brown roux with butter and flour mixture. Add to hot liquid and stir until starts to thicken. Put steaks back into pan with mushrooms and reduce heat to a simmer. Add rosemary and simmer for 30 minutes

About 10 minutes before steaks are ready, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add 1 ½ tbsp butter to hot noodles and stir to combine.

Add parsley to steak and gravy mixture, stir. To serve put noodles on bottom of plate, add steak and gravy and serve.

No comments: