Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Taste and Create - Stir Fried Shrimp with Ginger and Scallion

For this month’s Taste and Create, an event hosted by Nicole from For the Love of Food, I was paired up with Christine from Kit’s Chow. Her blog is filled with tasty and interesting recipes. If you haven’t had a chance to stop by, please do; and tell her I said “hi!” Anyway, in her description, she said that her blog is bits of her life stir-fried together. I liked that, so I chose a recipe this month that called for my handy, dandy wok.

While most of her recipes are South Beach Diet friendly, a lot of them have an oriental flair. Christine cooks a lot with rice, vegetables, and eggs. Not knowing much about the South Beach diet, I have found her blog to be interesting and informative. One entry I found very interesting, was the one about pigs’ trotters. I wanted to make that, but I didn’t get up the gumption, nor did I have access to the vinegar required for the recipe. If I find the vinegar, I just might have to give the pigs’ trotters a go.

Anyway, I decided after careful inspection of Christine’s blog, to make her Stir Fried Shrimp with Ginger and Scallion. While I did make one teeny, weeny mistake, I think the shrimp turned out pretty well. My mistake was to peel the shrimp – it is something I just do without thinking. Peeling them caused them to be more salty than they would have been otherwise. The only other thing that was different was that I had to use powdered ginger vs. fresh ginger. Cooking the shrimp in the wok is one of my favorite ways to prepare shrimp. The quick cooking, the high heat, the oil, and the corn starch all added to the flavor and texture of the shrimp.

I love doing Taste and Create – it gives me the opportunity to look at someone else’s blog and to try different recipes. I have already bookmarked a couple of other recipes from Kit’s Chow to try.

Below is the recipe straight from Christine’s blog: try it and enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 lb of shrimps
A large nob of ginger, thinly-sliced and cut into shreds
2 pieces of green onions, cut into shreds
1/4 cup of thin soy sauce
PepperSesame oil
2 tablespoons of coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons of cornstarch or tapioca starch
Oil

Method:
Clean the shrimps by rubbing it with the coarse salt. Rinse salt off.
Marinate the shrimps with sesame oil, pepper and cornstarch
Heat the wok and add the oil. Swirl it around the pan and add the ginger and scallions. Stir fry a bit.

Add the shrimps and stir fry. You may need to add a bit more oil.
Pour the soy sauce over the shrimps and stir everything together until shrimps are cooked through.
Dish up and serve.

5 comments:

KC said...

Your shrimps look very good. Do try the pig's trotters. If you can't get the vinegar just use white vinegar and mix it with some soy sauce and sugar. It won't be exactly the same but it will be close enough.

Sinny said...

Katie - You don't have a post here about your Thanksgiving dinner so I decided to comment here instead.

You out did yourself. It was truly a magnificent meal. I have never ate a moister turkey in my life. It might have even been good with out my cranberry sauce. lol

Thank you for making me feel at home and for the effort you went to for all of us. It was greatly appreciated.

recipes2share said...

This looks fantastic and having just spent a day cooking and serving at the school fayre would love it if you could please send a dish over!

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for your commnets! And thanks for the kind words about Thanksgiving!

gaga said...

What a fun event. I'm going to go check it out now!