Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Friday, November 21, 2008

Fall and Winter Soups - Entry Two - Tortellini Soup with Sausage and Spinach

Ok, this is the second of my soup entries. I used to go hang out at Baldo’s, an Italian restaurant my friend worked at near my old apartment in St. Louis. Every time I went there I would always order the tortellini soup, with tortellini floating around in a lovely clear broth. There was nothing better than that soup on a cold winter’s night.

This recipe is a modification or combination of two tortellini soup recipes that I found a few years ago. It is so simple to make and so tasty – if you want some spice, just add cayenne or red pepper flakes.

Soup is always a very comforting food that warms from the inside when it is frosty and chilly on the outside. I love to eat soup, especially in the winter, but I have been known to make them in the summer.

I was looking through one of my cookbooks earlier this evening, and I have found a few really interesting soups to make. I think my next soup recipe is either going to be a roasted tomato soup or a soba noodle soup.

A quick easy soup that can be a meal. This will take the chill off any winter day.

Tortelinni Soup with Sausage and Spinach

1 lb. mild Italian Sausage
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb cheese tortellini
1 bag fresh spinach
1 tsp fennel
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
3 quarts beef stock
Parmesan cheese

Slice sausage and render in stock pot. When sausage is near to finishing, add garlic, thyme and fennel. Drain grease from pan, deglaze with beef stock. Bring stock to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add tortellini to pot and cook for 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes more.

Serve immediately and garnish with Parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

KC said...

Hi Katie:

I have posted your recipe for Taste and Create.

http://kitschow.blogspot.com/2008/11/173-garlic-black-bean-and-sausage-soup.html

Regards,

Christine