Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Holidays and Cookies


With the holidays, it has been extremely hectic. Not only was I not done with my Christmas shopping until Christmas Eve, but I had to get all my grades in before I left school on December 19. This time of year is always very, very busy. I love Christmas though, and have had a blast watching my kids thoroughly enjoy the holiday.

I took a picture of the boys with their Lincoln logs set after they built it for the first time. They love to put things together like Legos and Lincoln logs. Now, they want to build an entire Lego village. I have no idea where we would put that.

I didn’t get much of a chance to bake cookies this year, but I did make some pumpkin muffins and chocolate cookies with the boys one day. The boys and I are making some sugar cookies next week. One of my Christmas presents from my secret Santa, who also happens to be a good friend of mine, gave me The Cookie and Biscuit Bible. I have several recipes tagged that I will be hopefully be making soon.

Our Christmas was filled with laughter and thankfulness. Laughter because watching the kids is always a joy. Thankfulness because we are so blessed. I hope you all had as great a holiday as me and my family did.

Chocolate Crackle Tops

7 oz. semisweet chocolate chopped
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
1 ½ cup confectioner’s sugar for coating

In a pan set over low heat, melt the chocolate and butter together until smooth, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in the sugar and continue stirring for 2-3 minutes until the sugar dissolves. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.

Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Gradually stir into the chocolate mixture in batches, until blended.

Cover the dough, chill for at least an hour until the dough is cold and able to hold its shape.

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease two or more baking sheets.

Place the confectioner’s sugar in a deep bowl. Using a small ice-cream scoop or teaspoon, scoop out the cold dough and between the palms of your hands, roll into ½ inch balls.

Drop each ball into the icing sugar and roll until heavily coated. Remove with a slotted spoon and tap against the side of the bowl to remove excess sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets about 1 ½ inch apart.

Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the tops feel slightly firm when touched. Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack for 2-3 minutes, then with a metal spatula place the cookies on the wire rack to cool completely.
These were the cookies that were served to Santa - there were none left in the morning.

No comments: