Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving Leftovers

Oooh, I love Thanksgiving. Foodwise, it has to be one of my favorite holidays of all times – my thanks to the pilgrims who started this fabulous tradition. Anyway, dinner was at our house this year, and I got to do a lot of the cooking. We had the usual fare; turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, salad, pumpkin pie, asparagus, cranberry sauce, and homemade bread.

I did a lot of research for this meal – I know, I am a bit of a food nerd. Finding the perfect recipe was a bit difficult – there were so many out there. I settled on Martha Stewart’s turkey. For a moister turkey, she puts cheesecloth on the breast and marinates with butter and wine. I guess you could say we had a drunken turkey. The stuffing recipe used ingredients that I remembered my mom using when she cooked thanksgiving dinner. Tyler Florence said that if we made his Grainy Mustard Mashed Potatoes, people would say they were the best potatoes ever – he was right. The bread w as your basic white bread recipe and the asparagus was roasted with prosciutto and topped with hollandaise sauce. My sister-in-law made the pumpkin pie; my son loved it, my brother-in-law’s girlfriend made banana pudding – a family tradition in her home, and my mother-in-law made oyster stuffing. I tried to make jellied cranberry sauce for my brother-in-law's girlfriend; two times. It didn't work either time, and I totally blame the reicpe. I found it on the net. When it didn't work the first time, I thought it was because I used the wrong type of jello - it wasn't. I think it just wasn't enough jello for the amount of cranberries the reicpe called for. I am going to stay on the lookout for a good recipe and try again. My kids were excited to try it, and they want me to make it again and actually have it work. Thank goodness I bought a can of sauce as a backup.

Since I made a 20 pound turkey, I did have some leftovers. Because I had family over, I didn’t take any pictures of my meal but I do have pictures of some of my leftovers. I took the carcass and made turkey stock – I was able to freeze some. With the rest, I made turkey and noodles. That was a fabulous dish!!! I love thanksgiving and the feelings I get. I remember my family – those who are far away, and those who aren’t here anymore. I felt my mom and my grandma as I cooked dinner. I know my mom was trying to tell me to put more eggs in the dressing, and my grandma thought I used too much butter with the turkey. I hope they are proud of me and my family.

Turkey Stock

Turkey carcass
Fresh garlic
Carrots
Celery
Onion
Salt
Pepper
Sage
Thyme
Rosemary

Put all ingredients in large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, return to simmer and simmer for 2-3 hours. Remove bones and meat, let cool. Separate meat from bone and set aside. Strain liquid, discard everything else. Let stock cool; use or store in containers and freeze.

Turkey and Noodles

1 lb. noodles
4 cups turkey stock
Leftover turkey – cut into bite size pieces
Parsley chopped
Sage chopped
Rosemary chopped
Poultry seasoning
Panko bread crumbs
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
Flour for slurry
Romano cheese – grated

Cook noodles per package directions. Add to heated stock with turkey and herbs except parsley. Combine and put in casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs, cheese, and parsley. Bake in 375 degree oven until cheese melts and starts to brown. Remove from oven, let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve.

No comments: