Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Beef Tongue, Chili, and Pumpkin Muffins

This was a weekend for cooking. It was cold outside and warm in the kitchen. Since we are getting a side of beef soon, I have to use the other meat I have in the freezer. I decided to make chili and cook a beef tongue. I put that on my Facebook the other day, and it sparked some conversation in the lunchroom on Monday. Most people think beef tongue is gross, and I have to say that the thought is kind of icky. You have to look past the name and just try it. Beef tongue is actually very good.

I took several pictures of the tongue from its raw state to its final cooked state. I must say that I really enjoyed the tongue sandwiches that I made for Hubby and me. I used Cibatta bread, Dijon mustard, spinach, and salt. That’s it. Hubby laughed as I prepared the sandwiches for their picture debut, saying that when he grew up all they did was slap tongue and salt between bread and eat. He really enjoyed the sandwiches too.

Both boys tried the tongue and they really liked it….really! I was quite surprised. They have the strangest taste in food. The like tongue, pesto, shrimp, steak, pork steak, and of course spaghetti. They aren’t that fond of veggies – it’s like pulling teeth sometimes, and the little one doesn’t like apples. But overall they aren’t too bad about food. At least they try things without too much trouble.

I also made and canned chili. I often make a large batch of chili to can so that I have it one hand when I want it. On Sunday I made the chili, knowing full well that I didn’t have beans. I said to myself, “Self, you need to get beans on the way home from school tomorrow to add to the chili.” And I remembered that. My little one and I ran to the store before we picked up the older one at the skating rink –roller. Anyway, after I got the kids home, I had to get them dinner, get myself dinner and meet a friend. So…….I forgot the beans. The little one looked at me yesterday and said, with his finger pointing at me. “Mommy, don’t forget the beans again, they are the best ingredient in the chili.” For those of you hanging on to the edge of your seat, the beans are in the chili and the chili is canned – not downstairs put away yet, but canned nonetheless. My older one told me that he likes our pastor’s chili better….great. I guess I need to get his recipe.

Last but not least I made pumpkin muffins for the older one, you know, the one who likes our pastor’s chili better than mine. He just loves pumpkin muffins and says that he could eat them every day. They are so easy to make, and they make a large batch. I have been eating them too, and I really don’t need to. Here is the recipe for pumpkin muffins - I used pumpkin pie spice instead of ginger, the boys like it better that way.

Today, I think we are going to make sugar cookies. It is a snow day and my little one wants to decorate cookies. I see another post coming.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Wow! Those tongues are HUGE! Imagine the cows in France kissing! Ha ha. I still don't think I would be able to eat it. The thought just grosses me out! But it does look sorta like ham.

giz said...

Ok, that whole Prange/Kitchener thing is such a crazy coincidence. I'm only 40 min from Kitchener so you better come visit next time you're in our neck of the woods.

The tongue - sorry...my mom used to make it years ago and once I found out what it was - that was the end of my culinary adventure.

recipes2share said...

Funny, we used to eat tongue too - I took my kids to see this at our local market (in France!) which includes all sorts of wonderful (and weird) offal. I haven't eaten this for years though. The rolls look great.

Katie's blog said...

The rolls are wonderful! I am hoping they are available for this weekend. We are having a Super Bowl party and they would be great with Italian Beef.

Thanks for commenting!