Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Linguini with Clams - an Eventful Dinner

I love Linguini with Clam Sauce – it has to be one of my favorite pasta dishes. It was so exciting when I found little clams in their shell at an Italian market in St. Louis. I bought two jars of them, excited that I was going to be able to make my favorite dish and use real clams! Now you know that I didn’t use these as soon as I brought them home – I wanted the luxury of being able to cook Linguini with Clams, using real clams at the drop of a hat.

Since there was no school today, I decided – at the drop of a hat – to cook, you guessed it, Linguini with Clam Sauce! It is such an easy dish to make; it only takes 10-15 minutes. While the pasta was cooking, I made my sauce. As I added the clams in their shell, I really started to notice just how tiny they were. I had a little bell go off in my brain, but I ignored it. After all, I had been waiting to use these clams – it was going to be great!

Ok, ok, the flavor was great – probably some of the best clam sauce I have made, if I do say so myself. There was one little problem. The clams I bought at the market, the little, little clams I bought at the market were so small, and broke so easily. My poor husband was eating, when all of a sudden - - - - - he started chewing part of a shell. It was then that I decided maybe the cute little – and I mean little – clams weren’t the best idea I had ever had. Who knew the shells would break and that Hubby would chomp on one or two shell fragments. Picking all the shells out of the pasta was next on the agenda – not part of the original plan. The meal, however, was very good, aside from the crunchy little extras.

Linguini with Clam Sauce – no shells, adapted from Rachel Ray

4-5 anchovy filets
Olive oil – 2-3 turns of the pan
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 pinches crushed red pepper
2 tsp basil
1 cup white wine
2 can baby clams, with liquid – no shells, unless you buy clams from your fish monger!
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 lb linguini cooked according to package directions
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot cook pasta in salted water until al dente. While pasta is cooking, heat up olive oil in large skillet, add anchovies and cook until melted into pasta. Add garlic, basil and pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Add wine and reduce by half. Add clams and juice, bring to a low boil – add cooked pasta and parsley. Toss to coat; let some of the juice get absorbed by the pasta. Serve with garlic bread and salad for a festive meal.

2 comments:

recipes2share said...

Ouch! - a similar thing happened to us with mussels so I now shell prior to combining with the pasta. Bet it was delicious though! Happy New Year!

Katie's blog said...

Thanks - Happy New Year to you too!