Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Pizza, Mom, and the New Year












Today would have been my mom’s birthday – she would have been 68 years old. While there are days that go by where I don’t really think about her, most days I do, especially when I look at the boys and think that she isn’t here to see them grow up. I do miss her.

She would have liked dinner tonight. Growing up, I remember making pizza at home. Mom would make the crust and the sauce and we would add the toppings. The one pizza I will always remember is zucchini pizza – yuk. To this day I still don’t like zucchini, and I didn’t like it on pizza. We usually liked pepperoni and sausage on our pizzas.

I didn’t make my crust from scratch like my mom used to – I used Panini bread for my pizza crust. For the boys, I cooked sausage for their pizza. For Hubby and me, we grilled steak – pretty rare with Grey salt, pepper, and Herbs De Provence on before grilling. The herbs always add that extra little touch. I used pesto for my sauce and Hubby used BBQ sauce for his sauce. Our cheese of choice tonight was Gouda and fresh mozzarella. I cooked some onions, got olives and built my pizzas. Hubby’s pizza had BBQ sauce, Gouda, cooked onions, steak, and olives. Mine had pesto sauce, Gouda and Mozzarella cheese, steak and olives. After we grilled the steaks, we put the pizzas together and put them on the grill to cook them. We were both surprised how quickly they cooked.

To go with the pizza, I made Mungo’s salad. It has to be one of my favorite salads. Easy to make, and soooo good. The combination of the provel cheese and bacon just can’t be beat. the dressing – Italian – can be used with many different types of salads, so I usually make a double batch.

The pizza turned out well, there was nothing left. I think the next time we try pizza on the grill, we might try putting the pizza stone on the grill too. The crust got a little dark, but didn’t burn. I think my mom would have liked it – she probably would have liked the pesto sauce with steak the best; it had a nice mild flavor.

Happy New Year to everyone – I hope you all have a wonderful and prosperous year!!

2 comments:

Beth said...

I have made the Mungo's Salad for a few different gatherings. Most recently, it was for Thanksgiving and I got a few compliments on it. Also, one of the people there asked for the recipe! Yay!

Shelby aka HoneyB said...

I love the panini bread crust! The pizza's look great!