Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, January 19, 2009

Shopping For Food

Today was a good day – I worked out this morning and went to the Hill in St. Louis. I love food shopping there. My friend, Dot and I left this morning, and hit the shops before we headed off to Cunetto’s for lunch.

Our first stop was Urzi’s Market on Southwest. Their sausage is probably some of the best I have ever had. The make it fresh weekly – usually on Thursdays, I think. I really like this market as it is really kitschy – there are so many different items available, you never know what treasures are waiting. The owner is from St. Rose – not too far from us on our side of the river.

After Urzi’s we headed over to Viviano’s Market on Shaw. They have tons of olive oil, great pasta sauces, fresh cheeses, and a large selection of Italian tomatoes. They have a large selection of wines and liquors, and are always helpful. When you order a case of canned goods, not only do you not pay tax on it, you also get help carrying your loot out to your car if you need it.

Our last stop of the day was at DiGregorio’s on Daggott. They have a large deli and meat section; I ordered spedini meat, which I love. I have cooked it before and posted here. I also bought fresh mozzarella, feta, prosciutto, cheese stuffed olives. They have fresh bread too, which I didn’t buy today as I knew I wasn’t going to be able to use it. But, boy is it good.

After our shopping, we were off to Cunetto’s, one of my favorite restaurants on the Hill. It was the first place I went to the first time I was in St. Louis, and I have been a fan ever since. My grandparents took me there for my 21st birthday and gave me the do not drink lecture. I ended up not drinking wine for lunch that day. Oh well..

I ordered my usual, Linguini Tutte Mare. Filled with seafood and a light sauce with butter, it is one of my favorites, and I just love it. Garlic cheese bread is another of my loves and I get that almost every time I go. Good thing I went to the gym today…..hehe. Dot ordered the special – Chicken Marsala. She has gotten that before and really enjoys it. Their food is just so good and always consistent. We ended up taking leftovers home to our husbands. Too much good food.

We ended the day stopping by Target near Hampton Village to get a birthday present for a party my son went to today. It was a nice end to a fun shopping day. I am blessed to have my friend, Dot, in my life. She is like a mom to me and for that I am truly thankful.

7 comments:

recipes2share said...

What a wonderful day with wonderful pictures and memories!

Katie's blog said...

Thanks - I love to food shop with friends and family. It is a wonderful way to spend time together.

Ashlee said...

your a nerd taking all these pics of a store lol haha

Rob Rolves said...

I'm with you on Cunetto's! An old standby when I get people visiting and want to eat on the Hill. Can't go wrong. Have you been in Bartolino's on Hampton, since they moved up to the Drury Inn by 44? Not inexpensive but my favorite place to eat lately.

I've not done any shopping over here, therefore I've never been in Urzi's. Who is the owner? Are they living over here now? My wife is from St. Rose so I'd like to see if she knows them.

Katie's blog said...

Her name is Diane Urzi - I am sure that doesn't help. Her husband, who died about 2 years ago was from the hill.

Bartalino's is on the top of my restaurant list. I went to the new place this past summer for dinner. The only thing I didn't care for was the caesar salad. The presentation, however was totally cool.

Ashlee said...

you take very nice pictures of the food section and your creations are wonderful

Ashlee said...

you take very nice pictures of the food section and your food looks delicious