Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Friday, February 20, 2009

Presto Pasta Night and Cooking Without Shopping

This is my entry for Presto Pasta Night. It is also the first of my meals cooked with only ingredients I have on hand. This week’s Presto Pasta is being hosted by the Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine. Head on over there Friday and take a look!

On another vein, while surfing the net the other day, I found a blog post on eGullet about cooking without shopping for one week. I had alluded to this in a few posts this past summer when I would just try to cook something new and different without going to the store. This is a little different, though; this time, I am going to try and go for one week. I will, however, go to the store to buy cereal for the boys and some fresh fruit for them.

Other than that though, I am going to use only what is in the fridge and pantry – oh, and the freezer too. I started tonight, making a pasta dish with leftovers from the fridge. I had steak and shrimp from grilling earlier this week, and some smoked salmon. I added it to some pasta and voila – a great meal. The sauce, made with white wine and butter was very light, allowing the flavors of the steak and seafood to come out be the star of the dish. I think if I make this again I might add some lemon for an added oomph to the pasta.

Surf and Turf Pasta

4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 pinches red pepper flakes
½ stick butter
4 sprigs thyme – leaves pulled off stems
2 small rib-eye steaks – leftover hopefully
1 small smoked salmon filet
¾ - 1 lb cooked shrimp see recipe
1 ½ cup white wine
1 lb pasta of choice
1 cup pasta water – if needed
¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
¼ cup fresh Italian parsley chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté garlic in olive oil and butter with red pepper flakes – use more pepper flakes if you want more heat in the pasta. Add thyme to the garlic and pepper along with the meat and seafood. Cook until meat is warmed through. Deglaze pan with white wine and let reduce. While sauce is cooking, cook pasta according to directions. Add pasta to sauce adding pasta water if sauce is too thick for your taste. Combine pasta and sauce adding parmesan cheese and parsley at the end. Serve immediately.

I really enjoy these different blogging events. Not only are they fun and entertaining for my family, but they also help me to think outside the box. This Presto Pasta entry is in large part due to the blog I read about utilizing ingredients that are already in your house. Follow along as I try to create new and interesting meals with what I already have on hand.

2 comments:

foodbin said...

pasta is versatile, can cook in many styles.

Mycookingtime said...

Your pastas looks delicious!!!

Mmmm....