Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Snow Days

Ok – the other day we had two, count them two snow days. The boys got to go sledding with the neighbors – they got soaked. The first day, we didn’t do too much – Hubby was home, so we just hung out as a family and bonded. Wednesday, however, was a different day altogether. While the boys played in the morning, I tried out my new crock pot – this would be number four; I think.

That is really sad. I have had four crock pots since I have been married, and I have only been married 10 years. Anyway, I wanted to try out the new one since we were having a Super Bowl party and making Italian Beef. I had to send a crock pot back a week ago because it took 14 hours to not completely cook a roast. I suppose had I left it in for a week or two, it might have been done for the party……nah, just easier to get a new one.

For my test run, I decided to cook some ribs I had in the freezer – I added some rub and BBQ sauce, and then just let the ribs and sauce do their thing. While they were a bit fatty, the taste was good and I knew that I could rely on my new crock pot. Yay!!!!!!!!!

After the ribs started cooking and the kitchen was cleaned, we started making cookies! Since we didn’t make cookies during the holidays, we decided that the snow day was the perfect day for cookie making. My kids love to decorate cookies, so we made my mother in law’s sugar cookies. They are a no fail recipe that everyone loves. I don’t have many cookie cutters that aren’t plastic, so we only made a few shapes. We made gingerbread men, snowflakes, and a maple leaf that I bought while I was in Canada.

I put the cookies on a sheet tray for the boys to decorate. They sat on their seats at the bar, and decorated cookies. I was a little smarter this time; I put the sprinkles and such in my little glass bowls and let them take what they needed. It was so not messy! The last time, there were so many decorations floating around on the counter, floors, walls, kids, you name it that I decided I wasn’t going to let them decorate again until they were around 20 years old. This worked out so well and they had a great time.

Mother Deaver’s Sugar Cookies – from my mother-in-law

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3 eggs
4 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Cream sugar and butter, add eggs one at a time, beat well. Add flour, baking soda, and vanilla. Roll out dough about ¼ inch thick on floured surface. Cut with desired cookie cutters.

Place cookies on ungreased or lightly greased cookie sheet, allowing room for cookies to spread slightly. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven 5-7 minutes. Tops will not brown, but will be white and will appear set; the bottoms and edges will brown slightly. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Makes 5-7 dozen small cookies

After I got finished cleaning up, my neighbor called to ask if the boys wanted to go sledding. He had a sled hooked up to the four wheeler. The boys got bundled up and headed out into the winter snow. The little one was the first to freeze up and want to go home. After falling off the sled and into the snow a few times, he was soaking wet and very cold. We stood by the heater in the garage waiting for the older one to go on the sled a few more times. After he fell off a couple of times he decided he had had enough too. So I took my wet ones home to change, then it was off to dinner with a friend and her kids at a local restaurant in town.

The restaurant is actually a bar and restaurant that is kid friendly. They serve food that kids will eat and it is small enough that if the kids move around the restaurant, it is easy to find them. It also helps that there are usually people in there that you know. Our entire day was fun and full of activity – I was very tired and ready to go back to work so that I could relax.

1 comment:

recipes2share said...

Great cookies but what wonderful photos of the boys enjoying the snow!