Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Taste and Create - Spice Cake

For Taste and Create this month, an event that is the brain child of Nicole from For the Love of Food, I was paired up with Shortcut to Mushrooms, a vegetarian blogger from Iowa City. Her blog is filled with vegetarian recipes that all look delicious. As my kids were begging me for some kind of dessert, I decided to look for a sugary treat on Shortcut to Mushrooms. What I found was a spice cake that was right up my alley. My kids both really like pumpkin desserts, and this cake had many of the spices that are included in pumpkin pie.

I love to bake for my kids – they really like to watch me cook and help out as well. They were right there as the cake was pulled out of the oven, and they waited impatiently while the cake cooled. When I poured the cake into the cake pan, I thought to myself that I should have put parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, and I was right. Even though I greased and floured the pan, the cake still stuck in some spots. As Judith said in her post, either don’t flour the pan or let it cool longer. I think I will try parchment paper the next time. The kids didn’t mind, though; they just ate the cake that stuck to the bottom of the pan. I garnished the cake with powdered sugar; it added a touch of sweetness, which paired well with the spice of the ginger and nutmeg.

The flavor of the cake was very good, although it did seem a little dry to me. I don’t know if I cooked it too long or if there isn’t enough liquid in the recipe. It only calls for 1 cup of milk and 3 eggs. There is also a cup of butter that is combined with the rest of the dry ingredients. I will make this again – the kids often dictate my dessert choices. This cake would be great with whipped cream or ice cream. The flavor is terrific.

They are much more interested in desserts than me. I – if you don’t know – just love, love, love pasta, but I do enjoy a good dessert and this does fit the bill. As I have said before, Taste and Create makes me step out of my box and make foods I wouldn’t normally prepare.

Spice Cake – From Allrecipes.com

2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup milk
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter, softened until easily spreadable
2 cups dark brown sugar
DIRECTIONS
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a metal or disposable foil 9-by-13-inch pan. Whisk dry ingredients and spices in a large bowl. Mix milk, eggs and vanilla extract in a 2-cup measuring cup.
Beat softened butter into dry ingredients, first on low, then medium, until mixture forms pebble-sized pieces. Add about 1/3 of the milk mixture and beat on low until smooth. Add remaining milk mixture in two stages; beat on medium speed until batter is just smooth. Add the sugar; beat until just incorporated, about 30 seconds. Pour batter into cake pan.
Bake until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the cake's center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Set pan on a wire rack; let cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the pan perimeter and turn cake onto rack. Let cool.

6 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

This spice cake recipe looks yummy. I loved looking at your blog and all the great recipes. I love the presto pasta surf and turf, as well. I found your link on the Foodie Blogroll widget. Have a great week.

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for your comments! I just saw my blog on the blogs of the day - cool! My boys really liked the spice cake. I am sure they will eat some for dessert tonight.

Judith said...

Glad you liked it! I'm not sure why it was a bit dry; mine actually turned out fairly moist but you know how baking is. One teeny tiny little difference and the whole thing goes kablooey! I enjoyed trying the hollandaise sauce from your Easter post.

finsmom said...

This looks really tasty! I think I will try it out this weekend! Thanks for sharing :)

Blissful Nikki said...

Hey There! Thank you so much for joining Cook it Blog it, hosted by the Gourmet Momma and now Managed by Project Domestic Bliss! I cant wait to see all of your wonderful creations! :)
--Nikki

HoneyB said...

I like spice cakes....takes me back to Grandma's house.