Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, February 16, 2009

A Good Day

Today started out a good day. I checked my blog this morning to find out that I had won a contest hosted by Jenny at Picky Palate! I am excited to be getting a Yoplait prize pack. The kids love yogurt. Thanks Jenny!!!

I also spent the day with my kids and husband as we all had the day off. We picked up our side of beef and went to the grocery store; not a very exciting day, but sometimes those are the best. We also got a ton of stuff together for Hubby to take to Goodwill tomorrow. I will be glad when the basement is all cleaned out. That will probably never happen.

For dinner tonight we grilled steak and shrimp – always in my freezer, and I made Ina’s Linguini with Shrimp Scampi. I didn’t make the dish exactly as the recipe I marinated the shrimp with salt, pepper, olive oil and herbs de Provence. I also added Parmesan cheese at the end. I know you aren’t supposed to add cheese to seafood pasta dishes, but sometimes I just can’t help it. Ina's recipe calls for both lemon zest and lemon juice. It makes the dish. The lemon is fantastic. While it is one of the easiest pasta dishes I make, it is also one of the most flavorful. I reccommend it to anyone who loves pasta and seafood.

I also made salad, and this is where my day took a turn – I cooked bacon in the oven…….and as I pulled it out, some of the grease spilled onto my toe and it really, really, really hurt. I of course wasn’t wearing any shoes; I was cooking in my socks. I have burned my fingers before, but never my toes. There is a first time for everything. I am feeling much better now, but I have to say that it wasn’t the best part of my day.

I hope you all enjoyed your holiday as much as our family did. Always remember, family is the most important.

4 comments:

Beth said...

OUCH! I'm sure that hurt! The pasta looks yummy though!

recipes2share said...

Well done on the win & ouch on the toes!!

Looks fab - and yes, we have just returned from a fab family holiday too - great fun & wonderful to have the time together!!

Julie said...

Wow...looks yummy. I made somethng very similar on Valentine's day that was a Tyler florence recipe...maybe they've been hanging out together :)

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for your comments! The scampi pasta turned out very well - even better the next day. My hubby kept commenting on them.

My toe is doing much better - I have to be more careful in the future.