Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Weekend Cooking and the Pinewood Derby

What a busy weekend. Not only did I work the basketball game at my school this weekend, my oldest son entered a car in the Pinewood Derby. It was our first time – he had a great time. His car was doing very well until they changed the track a bit, and then it just couldn’t beat that many cars. He came in third……….out of four. His best friend came in first; it was a good day for both boys.

Saturday night it was nice out – we decided to grill some food. Since we have a side of beef coming, we have been trying to clean out the freezer. We grilled backbone, pork steaks, and shrimp. I also took some stew beef and made beef and noodles. For a finale I decided to make Cold Tuna Salad. My oldest loves that. We had such a feast. To go with all that, I cut up apples for the boys, and made spinach for myself. Hubby just ate the meat – his kind of meal.

For the pork steak, we grilled with salt and pepper and slow cooked with BBQ sauce until pork fell off the bone.

Beef and Noodles

3 tbsp olive oil
2 lbs stew meat
Salt and pepper
1 leek diced
5 cloves garlic – minced
1 lb mushrooms sliced
1 cup red wine
1 quart beef stock
2 tbsp Steak seasoning
1 lb pasta your choice
Chopped parsley
1 stick butter
8 tbsp flour

Brown meat in large sauce pan with olive oil. Meat should be seasoned with salt and pepper. Remove meat from pan and set aside. Saut̩ leeks and garlic until softened. Add mushrooms Рseason with salt and pepper. Cook until mushroom have softened. Deglaze pan with red wine.
Add meat back to pan with beef stock and steak seasoning.

Bring to slow boil and put in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. While meat mixture is roasting, make a roux with the flour and butter. Melt butter in a small sauté pan and slowly add flour mixture to butter. Cook until flour has cooked into butter. Set aside.

Remove roasted meat from oven, slowly add roux and combine. Let meat rest at a low simmer while pasta cooks. Drain pasta and add to meat mixture. Add parsley and mix. Serve immediately.

Grilled Shrimp

1 lb shrimp
2 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp herbs de Provence
1 ½ tbsp fresh parsley

Clean shrimp – leave tails. Put in bowl and combine all other ingredients. Let marinate for 30 minutes. Grill until shrimp is just done. Serve immediately.

Family is very important to me. I don’t have too much around, so being with my family is very important. I love cooking for them – it is one way I show my love for them.

The Beef and Noodles is my entry for the 100th Presto Pasta Night. It is a great event hosted, this week, by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast. I love this event as pasta is one of my favorite food groups. Go to Once Upon a Feast and check out all the entries. they are sure to be great!

7 comments:

recipes2share said...

Well done in the Derby. My son is now playing rugby, but even at his tender age (12) I don't really like watching him get hurt!! At least he can run quickly once he has the ball!! Shrimp looks fantastic - what a delicious weekend for you all...

ying-ko-4 said...

It was good to see you and the family, Sis. Hope to do so again soon...

Robo said...

I had beef tips and noodles at Bartolino's last week. Wonderful food but more than I could eat so I brought home leftovers. I was shocked that my oldest daughter asked to try it, but not surprised that she liked it. I'll be trying your recipe and blaming you if I mess it up.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad our boys oould be in their first Derby together. They were cute and did a great job. The moms did a great job too don't you think??

Ruth Daniels said...

Sounds like a great weekend - bravo to the boys. And thanks for those tasty dishes...especially the Beef & Noodles for Presto Pasta Night.

Jenny said...

Hi Katie,
Can't wait for my boys to be old enough to do the pinewood derby. Sounds like fun! Hey, you won one of the prizes in my latest giveaway. See my post for my email so I can get your prize shipped to you! Congrats and your dish looks beautiful here!

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for your comments. I got my prize package - can't wait to use the cooler bag when I go shopping on the hill.