Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Breakfast for Dinner and No Cooking for the Week

My kids love breakfast for dinner, just love it. My friend, Dottie, makes a sausage, hash brown, egg burrito. She very graciously gave me her recipe and I changed it up a little and made it my own. Sometimes when I make it for my family, I make burritos, but sometimes we just eat without the tortilla cover. This last time I made the sausage and hash browns, I decided not to put the eggs in with the sausage and hash browns, but to put them on top for a change of pace. I had originally thought that I might make over easy eggs, but at the last minute, I decided to put a poached egg on top. I thought the green onions added a nice touch.

This was a tough cooking week for me. I had decided in my last post to not go to the grocery store this week – well I didn’t. I had all these great plans and dishes to cook with food that I already have on hand. I was also going to enter a Soup Off. Great plans – plans are made to be broken though. I ended up having an upset stomach pretty much most of the week. I started feeling better around Friday, didn’t sleep well Saturday, and took it easy today. Needless to say, not only did I not go to the grocery store, I hardly cooked anything. We just ended up scrounging in the fridge and pantry to eat for the week. I ate school lunches, Hubby ate out for lunch, and the boys ate lots of canned soup. Oh, well. I will try the whole not shopping thing again, but when I am feeling well.

Anyway, here is the recipe for the eggs, sausage and hash browns that I made last week. I don’t have exact measurements, just close approximations to what I use; it is all to your taste.

Eggs, Hash Browns, and Sausage One Dish Meal

1 ½ - 2 lbs Sausage – breakfast (I used Bob Evans)
Hash browns (I used 2 packages Simply Potatoes – aren’t they recalled now?)
2 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Paprika
Salt
Pepper
8 Eggs beaten (I usually scramble them in at the end, but I poached them this time. I liked them poached very much)

Cook sausage in large or electric skillet until cooked through. Remove from pan, leave some pan drippings. Cook hash browns, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper until just done in the sausage drippings. Add sausage to mixture, bring up to temperature. At this point you could add eggs and cook entire mixture until eggs are cooked through and then serve, or you could poach eggs, and serve eggs on top of sausage and hash brown mixture. Either way is very good, but I really enjoyed the poached eggs as they added a much eggier – is that a word – flavor to the dish.

Next time, I will add either green onions or chives to the mixture right at the end to add a punch of flavor to the entire meal.

Enjoy the recipe and I hope this week brings more cooking for me and my family.

5 comments:

Sophie said...

Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite things :)...breakfast never gets old, this savory dish sounds yummy!

Katie's blog said...

Thanks - it is one of my family's favorites!!!

Beth said...

This picture is just goregous! I had to look for a minute to realize that was an egg on top (before I read the post)! Looks yummy!

HoneyB said...

My mom would make us corned beef hash and poached eggs for dinner! This took me back! I would love to be able to eat something like this now, but unfortunately my tummy doesn't handle the egg part. I would still make the hash though!

Katie's blog said...

I will tell you, the hash is great with or without the egg! I have had it both ways. Thanks for your comments!!