Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Classic Cream of Chicken (Steak) Soup Entry

Twice a year, Border’s Books has a teacher appreciation weekend. Everything in the store is 25% off. I bought a couple of cookbooks, the kids picked out books, and we bought a couple of DVDs. It is an event that we look forward to. I love that my boys like to read and like to go shopping for books.

They had stacks and stacks of cookbooks, all on sale. It was a cook’s dream. I bought three cookbooks – all hardback and all under 10.00. One of the books was all about soups. I decided to make a cream of chicken soup, but I used leftover steak instead. It turned out well and we had some leftover for the next night.

I know that it has been a while since I have done a soup entry, but here it is! A yummy heartwarming soup that will be enjoyed by the entire family.

Classic Cream of Chicken (Steak) Soup Adopted from Soup Recipes 500

¼ cup butter
2 onions chopped
2 potatoes chopped
1 large carrot diced
1 celery stalk diced
3 cups chicken stock – I used a quart of beef stock
¼ cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
6 oz cooked chicken – I used 9 oz cooked leftover steak steak
1 ¼ cups light cream
Salt and pepper
Parsley to garnish

Melt butter in a large pan and cook the onions, potatoes, carrot, and celery gently for 5 minutes. Do not allow the vegetables to brown.

Add the stock and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Puree the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth and return to pan. Blend the flour with the milk and stir into the soup. Cook over a low heat, stirring until the soup boils and thickens.

Meanwhile, chop the steak finely. Add to the soup and heat through for 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup of cream and simmer for 5 minutes more.

Serve in individual bowls, topped with a swirl of remaining cream and garnished with ground black pepper and parsley leaves. Serve.

This turned out very well. Hubby could taste the potatoes in the soup and was quite surprised as he couldn’t see any potatoes in the soup. What I liked is that the soup was creamy without being fattening. The cream added a creamy texture, but there wasn’t enough in the entire soup to make it a fattening dish. I did add some beef base to the soup to give it a meatier taste. Served with a salad, my new soup made for a great meal.

More food next time – don’t know what is on the menu! It will be a surprise!

No comments: