Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, March 30, 2009

Freezer Cooking and Cub Scouts

Trying to decide what to cook some days is not easy. Today was one of those days. I decided to just pull some items out of the freezer and cook. I got shrimp, spedini meat, prosciutto, and asparagus. I also pulled out some spinach and mizithra cheese.

I often cook my asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, but tonight I decided to try something a little different. Not only did I wrap the shrimp with the prosciutto, I also marinated it in pesto sauce. Since I also had basil in the frig, I decided to make pesto. It is such a fresh springy taste; gets me in the mood for warmer weather.

I decided to dredge the spedini meat in flour, salt, pepper, and rosemary. I had some fresh on hand and just thought it might add a nice touch. After dredging I quickly sautéed them in olive oil over medium high heat. I used the leftovers of that to make sandwiches the next day.

For a side, I made pasta with mizithra cheese and spinach. I have made pastas like this before; they are easy to make, no mess and once you have the method down, the varieties are endless. I learned the original recipe from a Giada recipe I have often made.

Pasta with Mizithra Cheese and Spinach

1 lb pasta – I used linguine.
¼ cup butter – room temperature
1 ¼ cups grated mizithra cheese
1 ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped spinach

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the linguine and cook until it is al dente, about 8 minutes. Strain, reserving 1 cup of liquid

Immediately toss the hot pasta in a large bowl with the butter to coat. While tossing the linguine, gradually sprinkle the cheese, pepper, and enough of the reserved cooking liquid evenly over the linguine to moisten. Add the spinach and toss to combine. Season the pasta, to taste, with salt.

Shrimp with Pesto and Prosciutto

1 lb large shrimp
¼ lb prosciutto
1 batch pesto – see recipe here

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Clean shrimp, but leave tails on. Marinate shrimp in pesto sauce for 30 – 45 minutes. After shrimp has marinated, wrap each shrimp in a piece of prosciutto and place on a sheet tray. Cook in oven for 7 minutes. Remove and let shrimp cool for 2 minutes, serve.

This past weekend I took my boys on a nature hike for cub scouts with one of their friends and his mom. We had the Blue and Gold banquet the next afternoon. It was my job to make a pasta for 30 people. I made way too much and will be eating spaghetti for the next two to three weeks – hope not. Anyway, it was nice to see my oldest move up to the next level of scouts. These memories will last a lifetime – thank God the spaghetti won’t. Have a great evening, and I will be back soon with more stories and recipes!

1 comment:

from my motorhome to yours said...

your boys are darling, I have 3 boys also, all grown up now, but they would not eat anything green!!