Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pappy's, Crown Candy, and a Day Out

A couple of weeks ago, Man vs. Food came to St. Louis. The show went to a Memphis style BBQ joint called Pappy’s close to St. Louis University and to Crown Candy in the old North Side of St. Louis. Hubby’s brother in law and girlfriend – brother in law’s girlfriend – not hubby’s, asked us if we wanted to go to lunch at Pappy’s and to Crown Candy for dessert.

Off we went this past Saturday on our culinary adventure. Our first stop was of course, Pappy’s. Only open for 18 months, Pappy’s is a great place to eat. The ribs are great – dry rub, just like Memphis. They were perfectly cooked, juicy and tender. We all really liked them, especially the kids. I had the hot links and brisket. The brisket was very good, tender and perfectly cooked. While the hot links were very good, I don’t think I will get them again – there are too many other items that are just wonderful. My little one really liked the sweet potato fries, my older one liked the applesauce – go figure.

It is a serve yourself type of place. Stand in line, order your food, get your drink, sit down and wait for an employee to bring your order. It only takes a couple of minutes for orders to come up. It was quite speedy actually. I have to say that I have not had service as good as that in years. The employees were the nicest people we have encountered at a restaurant in quite a while. We will most definitely go again.

My brother in law and his girlfriend ordered The “Adam” Bomb which includes a full slab of ribs, a beef brisket and a pork sandwich, ¼ chicken and 4 sides; it also comes with Frito pie, which is Fritos topped with your choice of meat, baked beans, cheddar cheese, and onion. It was a huge meal, but they got to try everything. I think next time I might try the Frito pie. It was different, yet tasty, with their sweet pork and beans.

We then drove to Crown Candy – where we stood in line, again. Hubby got a milk shake, I ordered a sundae and the boys each got an ice cream cone. They make their own ice cream and it is soooo good. I don’t usually eat dessert, but this was the best ice cream I have ever had.

Crown Candy is an old place – very retro, but in an original way. The booths are small, made of wood and painted white. I would have taken a picture, but it was very busy and I thought I might try again when it was slower. There were people everywhere! The boys really enjoyed the ice cream – they got it all over themselves. I want to go back and try their sandwiches – they looked phenomenal. That place is going on the list for this summer – maybe with the boys one day.

We had a really nice time with Hubby’s brother and his girl friend. Next time we are going for a 28-29 pizza at Talayna’s. Talk to you soon. Be back soon with more food talk!!!

3 comments:

Beth said...

We LOVE Talayna's! Seriously, it is our family's #1 restaurant choice. Can we go with you? :-)

Katie's blog said...

I remember - we have gone with you. Of course you can go with us. Remember, you are my hero!!!!

Sinny said...

Next time we go I am getting the frito pie...only. I am still suffering from all that food.

I had a blast however. And I appreciate you coming back to join us even after you excommunicated yourself from the tribe. lol