Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Friday, April 10, 2009

Banana Bread

It is rainy and cold today. I don’t think spring is ever going to really get here. The boys and I are off today. They have been playing the Wii and their DS’s. i wanted to get rid of weeds today, but I am not going to do that in the rain.

Instead, I was cleaning the kitchen, and was getting ready to throw out bananas. I decided to make banana bread and not waste perfectly overripe bananas. The first recipe I looked at called for Bisquick, but I chose a basic recipe with flour, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. It is an easy recipe, ready to modify and change to suit any tastes.

My oldest gave it a 9.5 out of 10, and my littlest gave it a 13.5.

Banana Bread

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups mashed very ripe bananas – about three bananas
¼ cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup butter – softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Evenly grease 9 by 5 metal loaf pan. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In small bowl, combine bananas, milk and vanilla.

In a large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Reduce speed to low; alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Beat just until blended.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in center until it comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Makes 1 loaf.

The picture of the banana bread was taken by my oldest one. They are both getting good at taking pictures of food!! Until next time – more food and stories!

No comments: