Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dinner, Shopping for Fun Foods, and Presto Pasta

A couple of weekends ago I went to the Farmer’s Market and the Hill in St. Louis with a friend. My sister-in-law was supposed to go as well, but my nephew was not feeling well, so she stayed home with him. She will go next time, I am sure. I love to go there every once in a while for some great food – I know I have posted about this before. On this trip, I bought fresh basil, prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, gorgonzola, spedini meat, and all kinds of other good stuff.

One of the places we went was Viviano’s – a very neat Italian market on the hill in St. Louis. On Saturdays they have wine tastings and I ended up buying three bottles of wine. Two of them were from Dan Akroyd’s winery. They were very nice wines and I am looking forward to drinking. I am looking forward to my next Saturday on the Hill. It should be a good time.

It was such a nice day that we decided to walk up the street to get a cookie from the bakery. I had a chocolate gooey butter cookie that was melt-in-your-mouth good. I will have to stop there again next time.

I decided to make spedini rolls – I have made them before and a pasta side. While at the farmer’s market in Soulard, I bought some lemon pepper spaghetti. I decided to cook that with my spedini rolls.

Lemon Pepper Pasta

1 lb. lemon pepper spaghetti, cooked per package directions.
¼ lb prosciutto diced
2 handfuls basil hand torn in small pieces
¾ cup fresh mozzarella in small cubes
1 14 oz can artichokes, chopped in small pieces
1 ladle pasta water
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook spaghetti according to package directions – remove from pan with pasta tool or hand strainer. You want some of the pasta water in the serving bowl. Add ingredients except for salt, pepper, and water and combine. Add more pasta water if you want a little sauce; add salt and pepper to taste.

I served this with the spedini rolls I have made before. They have a lot of the same flavors as the pasta, so it is a perfect match. The lemon pepper spaghetti added a nice burst of fresh flavor that combined very well with the basil and mozzarella. It was a nice actually light dinner – provided one didn’t eat too much.

This is my entry for Presto Pasta Nights. This week it is being hosted by Ruth from Once Upon a Feast. I hosted two weeks ago - it's a shared event and lots of fun. Head over there and take a peek!! That is all for now – hope to talk to you soon!! Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Ruth Daniels said...

The market sounds wonderful. I do love going to the local market (indoors all year round) but am ready to hit the road and check out all the farmers' markets around Nova Scotia.

Thanks for sharing the delicious lemon pepper pasta with Presto Pasta Nights.