Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter and Appetizers

We celebrated Easter at my in-laws’ house today. My mother-in-law made bratwursts and pork steaks. She also made a potato dish, deviled eggs, garlic cheese bread, and baked beans. Everything was very good. It is nice to be able to get together with family and just relax. My sister-in-law just had a baby boy, her second, so I had fun reminiscing about babies. He is very, very cute. My two boys got to hold him. They thought that was pretty cool.

I was asked to make an appetizer – and I couldn’t decide between two choices. The first choice was a crab dip with garlic saltines and roasted cherry tomatoes by Tyler Florence and a shrimp and artichoke dip by Paula Deen.

I really liked the crab dip. Not only did it look pretty, it was nice because everyone got to choose what they wanted on their crackers. The crab did was light and had a very fresh taste. It called for chives, but I was out so I just substituted green onions. The crackers were diffeent. Adding parsley, butter and garlic to the crackers added so much to the entire appetizer. I will have to try that with some other appetizers I have. The roasted tomatoes were a great touch. I am using the leftovers for some pasta this week. Can't wait!!

The shrimp and artichoke dip was good as well. I didn’t take a picture because I didn’t think it was pretty. The recipe called for mushrooms – I should have sautéed them first, because they released a ton of liquid, causing the dip to become a little runny. The flavor, though, was great. The sherry came through and blended extremely well with the shrimp and the mushrooms. If I make it again I will definitely cook the mushrooms first to release the juices from them as the dip doesn’t need any more liquid.

Family is so important. We are blessed to have such a nice family to celebrate the holidays with. I couldn’t have better in-laws if I tried. I feel fortunate every day.

Talk to you all soon – be back with more food ideas later!

No comments: