Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Friday, April 17, 2009

Monkfish Pasta

This is my entry for Presto Pasta Night, created by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast. Not only am I entering this week, I am also the host; be sure to look at this week’s roundup of PPN 109!!!

For my last day off for the year – ok, I do get Memorial day off, but the day I go to school after that only lasts about half an hour, so I don’t feel that really counts. Anyway, for my last day off, I decided to go to Bob’s Seafood Company. It is quite a trek from my house, but it was well worth the trip. While there I purchased Monk fish, which by the way is called “ugly fish” in my food encyclopedia – and it really is. The tail is usually the only part sold to the public. I have also heard it referred to as “poor man’s lobster.” In any event, it is a very good fish and can be prepared almost any way. I also asked about the fresh soft shell crabs. I didn’t know whether or not I was going to be able to cook them that night or not, so the woman behind the counter said I shouldn’t get them if I couldn’t cook them today. She was so nice, though, and gave me four frozen soft shell crabs, so I will able to cook them when I can.

For my Presto Pasta entry, I decided to make a Monk Fish Pasta. It was very good. The fish has a nice firm texture that is very pleasing to the palette. It also has a sweetness that one doesn’t find in many fish. My husband really liked it, and I can’t wait to go back to Bob’s and get some more fish!

Monk Fish Pasta

3 Monk fish filets, cut into bite size pieces
2-3 tblsp good olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 tbsp fresh thyme off the stem
1 lb linguini cooked per package directions
1 cup white wine
½ cup chicken stock or seafood stock
Zest and juice of one lemon
1 handful parsley chopped
¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat oil in pan to medium high. Cook garlic until softened. Add pepper, lemon zest, and thyme. Add wine and chicken stock, bring to low boil and add fish. Cover a “poach” until fish almost done – should be firm yet flaky. Remove lid to allow liquid to reduce and thicken some. Add lemon juice. While fish is cooking, cook pasta until al dente. Add to fish and sauce, combine. Add parsley and cheese, combine. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

Sounds awesome. I'm off to the fish market tomorrow and hopefully they'll have some.

Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights and thanks a million times more for hosting this week.

Tara said...

Hi Katie! Just wanted to stop by to say hello since we are T&C buddies. You have a LOT of yummies to choose from!

If you have any Qs for me about a recipe or meed a reccomendation, just say the word. Also... I will be posting a Crock Pot Pulled Pork recipe this weekend.

PS Monkfish rocks!

ying-ko-4 said...

I would be so bloody fat, I'd never walk again if I ate everything you cooked. It all looks so good, Katie.

Debinhawaii said...

I love monkfish, the texture and flavor is amazing. Your pasta dish looks incredible with lots of my favorite flavors--delicious! Thanks for hosting PPN.

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for the comments. I too love Monkfish and was so happy to find it. I never see it and was very excited!!

Angie said...

That looks great. Thanks for sharing.