Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Macaroni and Cheese! He likes it!! and a New Chicken Entree - Presto Pasta Too!

Ever since I got married, I have tried to make macaroni and cheese for my husband. Every time I make macaroni and cheese for my husband, he says that he would just prefer I make Kraft Mac and Cheese. The only other mac and cheese that I have made that he likes is a crock pot recipe that calls for a ton of Velveeta. It is good, but very heavy. A month or so ago, I found this recipe and on a whim, I decided to try it…..I sat on pins and needles waiting for Hubby to try it……he liked it. I couldn’t believe it. I found a recipe that he liked.

Since he likes this dish so much, I decided to enter it for this week's Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Patsy at Family Friends and Food. Check it out this Friday!





Mama Marini's Macaroni and Cheese from Cooks.com


1 lb. package (spiral ribbed macaroni)
1 lb. medium/sharp yellow cheddar cheese block, cut into small pieces - about 1/4 in. sq.
1 pkg. shredded Mozzarella
1 pkg. shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/4 Vidalia onion, chopped
2 cups milk
dried bread crumbs - about 1 1/2 cups
salt & pepper

This would make a nice side dish to a baked ham or kielbasa for a large dinner, or be perfect as a main course alone with a light salad or vegetable.

Cook macaroni according to package - about 11 minutes, and preheat oven to 350F.

While macaroni is cooking, melt 1 stick butter in frying pan. Add melted butter to breadcrumbs in a 2 cup glass measuring cup or bowl. Stir and pack so that all crumbs are evenly coated and absorbed.

Melt the other 1/2 stick of butter in the same pan and add chopped onions. Cook and stir on medium/low heat until translucent and just beginning to brown.

Drain macaroni and return to cooking pot. Add shredded Mozzarella, salt and pepper and stir to coat pasta.

Add chopped cheddar to sautéed onions in pan, and top with the milk. Stir over medium heat until cheese starts to melt. Sprinkle a couple handfuls of the shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar and stir until chunks of cheese are pretty small, but not completely melted. Remove from heat.

If desired, add a little more salt and pepper to macaroni/Mozzarella mix. Pour sauce over and stir until well mixed.

Butter 1 or 2 large baking/casserole dishes. Pour macaroni and cheese mixture into pan (s) and smooth. Sprinkle buttered breadcrumbs around edges of pan, but not too far into the center.
In a diagonal design sprinkle lines of remaining shredded Monterey jack and cheddar over casserole. Bake in 350 oven for 35 minutes.

It turned out really well. The only ingredient I added was some Dijon mustard to add a little oomph of flavor. Very good, and amazingly very light!

The other dish I made tonight was a new baked chicken. At work we often trade recipes and try each other’s cooking. Tonight was one such night for me. one of the girls I work with told me about this chicken dish I made tonight. I don’t know what the name of it is, but I do know that it is very tasty and simple. The main ingredients are chicken and fried onion rings – yep the ones that go into the classic green bean casserole.

Chicken with French Fried Onion Rings

6 boneless chicken breasts
4 eggs
1 large can French fried onion rings
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Clean chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper. Beat eggs and put in shallow dish. Crumble onions and put in another shallow dish. Dip chicken in egg and then dredge in onions. Put on sheet pan that has been sprayed. Bake in oven until cooked though. Let sit for 5 minutes and serve.

The kids ate all their chicken; they really liked it. My oldest was worried about the onions, but I was quick to point out to him that I had loved these onions as a child. He agreed and told me that he too loves them as a child – they both still love Kraft Mac and Cheese and chose to not eat my version. Hubby thought dinner was great. I am glad that dinner went so well; we are eating this again tomorrow after a T-ball game.

That is all for now – have a great evening! Be back soon with more tasty treats!!

10 comments:

ying-ko-4 said...

That's so funny! Now you have your very own Mac & Cheese story...all without food coloring!

Talita said...

I really wanna try macaroni and cheese. Can you believe I never ate pasta with cheese? No, it's unbelievable! lol
Well, I copied your recipe!

Patsyk said...

I am still searching for homemade mac and cheese for my family. This one looks great!

Thanks for sharing with PPN. Be sure to check out the round-up tomorrow!

The Food Hunter said...

that mac and cheese looks great. I will have to give it a try real soon.

Ruth Daniels said...

The Mac & Cheese does sound terrific. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Chicken looks very tasty too!

giz said...

Great entry Katie and I'm so glad "Mikey" likes it :). There's no looking back now.

Katie's blog said...

Thanks for your comments! It is a great dish!!

rstopka said...

Just tried this and it was awesome!! I have had a hard time finding a macaroni and cheese recipe that I like too - this was perfect! I made meatloaf as the main dish...first time I made meatloaf in a crock pot and it was fantastic! Thanks!

Katie's blog said...

This honestly has to be the best mac and cheese I have ever made. I want to try the crock pot meatloaf too!

Sweet and Savory said...

Hi, I wanted you to know that I am using your mac and cheese for Taste and Create. We had it for dinner, tonight and it was a success. Thanks.