Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Sunday, May 10, 2009

New Potatoes, Lobster, and Shrimp

This has been a very busy week. The boys are on separate teams for T-ball and baseball. While they are both having fun, I am going in different directions every day. School is also winding down, but that makes me busier than ever, what with trying to get finals ready and make sure I cover the material I am supposed to.

Anyway, this post is late as we cooked this a couple of weeks ago. While I was shopping on the hill, a friend showed me taleggio cheese, a soft Italian cow’s milk cheese which I hadn’t tried before. She also told me about this potato recipe she got from her brother that sounded wonderful. I thought the combination of red potatoes and arugula sounded great so, I tried it. Not only was it an easy recipe, it was also extremely tasty

New potatoes with Taleggio and Arugula

2 pounds small new potatoes, wiped cleanSalt
3/4 pound arugula
2 Tbls. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pound Taleggio or other mild semi soft cheese, thinly sliced
Freshly ground pepper

In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold water, set a lid on top and bring to boil. Add salt, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes; drain.Preheat the broiler. In a large bowl, toss the arugula with the olive oil. Transfer to a large ovenproof platter. Cut the potatoes in half and arrange on the arugula in a single layer. Top with the Taleggio cheese and season with salt and pepper. Broil for about 1 minute, or until the cheese melts, and serve.

To go with the potatoes, I decided to make lobster rolls. I just bought this new grilling cookbook, Weber’s Way to Grill, suggested to me by one of my friends. It is filled with mouth watering recipes for the grill – they have great directions and awesome pictures to make it easier to understand. I already have a list of things I want to make this summer.

Lobster Rolls

3 large garlic cloves – lightly crushed
6 tbsp salted butter – I added salt to my unsalted butter
4 main lobster tails – about 6 oz each
Kosher salt
2 tbsp minced scallion, whit and light green parts
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Hot sauce
2 tsp chopped fresh chervil
4 hotdog buns sliced vertically from the top – I used ciabatta bread, my new favorite!
1 2/3 shredded hearts of romaine lettuce – I used arugula lettuce

In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the garlic and butter until the butter melts. Set aside about 2 tablespoons for brushing on the buns

Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Carefully cut the lobster tails in half lengthwise. Season the meat with a little salt and brush some of the garlic butter over the surface of each one. Brush the cooking grates clean, grill the tails, meat side down, over direct medium heat with the lid open, until the meat is opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the tails over, brush with more garlic butter, and continue to grill until the meat is slightly firm, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, tomato, scallion, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and hot sauce. Remove the lobster from the shells and cut into ½ inch pieces. Add the lobster meat to the mayonnaise mixture. For the best flavor, chill at least one hour. Mix the chervil just before serving.

Using the serrated knife, trim some of the crust from the sides of the buns. Brush the remaining garlic butter on the cut sides of the buns and toast over direct medium heat until golden brown on both sides – about 1 minute turning once.

Place 1/3 cup romaine on the bottom of each roll and then top with the lobster mixture. Enjoy!!

The last item for the night was a Chinese themed shrimp that we also decided to grill. I didn’t have a recipe; I just decided to wing it. What came of that was a brightly flavored easy grilled shrimp that will be made again in our house. I don’t have measurements – I just added until I thought I had enough.

Chinese Grilled Shrimp
1 lb shrimp, cleaned
Soy sauce
Powdered ginger
Chinese all spice
Sesame oil - dark
Sesame seeds
Chopped scallions – white and green part

Combine all ingredients and marinate for 30 minutes before grilling. Grill over direct medium heat until shrimp are cooked through – watch so they don’t overcook. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve! Have a great dinner.

See you soon with more recipes from my kitchen!!!

2 comments:

HoneyB said...

Oh my. Wish I was eating at your house. LOL.

Katie's blog said...

You can come over any time!!