Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, June 22, 2009

Chicken Two Ways

Even though school is out, I have been pretty busy. I am still writing for the local paper, and the kids seem to have games all the time. I still find time to cook, but I haven’t had too much time to blog about it. Hopefully I will have more time to blog soon.

Last weekend, I cooked two kinds of chicken; one recipe from Barefoot Contessa and one recipe from my Weber Grilling Cookbook. The first – from the Contessa, was a Tuscan Lemon Chicken. - click on link for recipe. It is a rustic dish, but oh so yummy. The boys devoured it in no time at all. The other – Jerk Chicken Skewers with Honey Lime Sauce is a spicy chicken on a stick. I don’t think I have ever had such tender chicken in my life – the texture was terrific. I must say though, that it was the first time I had had meat with allspice in the marinade. It made for a new and interesting flavor for us. I would highly recommend either one. In fact, I am making the skewers again for our family’s Father’s Day celebration.

For the Tuscan chicken, I was excited to use rosemary that is growing on my front porch. I love using fresh herbs that I grow. It is always exciting to me.

Jerk Chicken Skewers with Honey Lime Cream - from the Weber Grilling Cookbook

Paste
1 habanera or Scotch chile pepper – I used a jalapeno – didn’t have anything else
1 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 scallions, white and light green parts, roughly chopped
6 medium garlic cloves
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp ground allspice
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

Sauce
½ cup sour cream
½ tsp finely grated lime zest
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp honey
¼ tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper

Wear rubber gloves when seeding and chopping the chile. Remove the seeds and put the rest of the chile in the food processor with the rest of the paste ingredients and process until smooth.

Trim the chicken of any fat and remove the tenders. Cut the chicken lengthwise into even strips ½ to ¾ strips. I bought chicken tenders as they were on sale.

Place the chicken onto a large resalable bag and spoon in the paste. Work the paste into the chicken, press out the air in the bag, and seal tightly. Place in the refrigerator and let marinate for 2-3 hours.

In a small bowl whisk the sauce ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let the sauce stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving. Prepare the grill for direct heating over high heat.

Wearing rubber or plastic gloves, thread the chicken strips onto the skewers, being sure to keep each skewer well within the flesh of the chicken. If you don’t have rubber gloves, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after this step.

Brush the cooking grates clean. Gill the skewers over direct high heat with the lid closed as much as possible until the meat is firm and the juices run clear – 6-8 minutes, turning once or twice. Serve warm with sauce.

I have great food thawing in the fridge, so that means more posts coming soon!!!

No comments: