Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Father's Day Meal

The Sunday after Father's Day is the day we are celebrating Father’s Day. Each year on Father’s Day there is a race that my husband and Father in Law love to go to. They love dirt track races and go quite a bit. Anyway, since Father’s Day is their day, we postpone our celebration so they can enjoy their day. For the first year, we didn’t buy gifts for Hubby’s brother or his dad. I had the boys make cards for them, and I think they liked the cards better than any gift we could have given.

For today’s meal, everyone is coming to our house. I usually combine menu items I have made before with new menu items yet to be tested in our house. I am making refried beans from a Cuisine at Home magazine – the last time I made beans, not so hot. We will have to see this time. I might be pinch hitting with something else if the beans don’t turn out well.

My tried and true menu item is the Jamaican Jerk Chicken Skewers that I made a couple of weeks ago. My mother in law really liked them, so I thought it would be nice to make them again for her. I am trying a new beef kabob recipe from my Weber Grilling cookbook, and I am now making Bowtie Pesto with Feta and Tomatoes. I decided against the beans – I will finish them up tomorrow. I know, I am a chicken….oh well, it happens.

As a starter, I made a spicy cheese dip, a recipe from Cuisine at Home. With Monterey Jack, heavy cream, and jalapenos, it was a good dip and easy to make. I also had salsa and a bacon cheddar dip mix from Watkins.

Dinner turned out well. The beef was fabulous!!! That is a dish we will definitely be making again. The chimichurri sauce that accompanied the beef was a little spicy but very flavorful. The chicken again was very tender and the sauce that was served with that had just the right amount of sweetness to bring the best out in the chicken.

I brought some strawberries, cleaned them and put sugar in them on Saturday so they would be ready on Sunday as my father in law loves to end his meal with something a little sweet. Then I totally forgot about them and no one ate them on Sunday. I sometimes forget these things. They were, however, very good on Monday morning.

Spicy Cheese Dip

1 ½ lb Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded

1 ½ lb Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 ½ cups heavy cream
1-2 minced jalapeno peppers
½ cup sour cream

Toss together cheese and flour in a large resealable plastic bag until cheese is coated by flour.

Heat cream in a double boiler over medium heat. When cream bebins to simmer, add ½ cup cheese stirring to incorporate. When cheese is melted, add another ½ cup cheese and stir until it melts; repeat until all cheese is melted.

Stir in jalapeno and sour cream. Keep did warm over low heatm but don’t allow it to boil.

Argentine Beef Skewers with Chimichurri Sauce

Sauce

1 cup Italian parsley leaves and tender stems
½ cup fresh basil leave
¼ cup finely chopped onion
1 medium garlic clove
½ teaspoon kosher salt
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar

Rub

1 ½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper

2 lbs top sirloin 1 1 ¼ in. thick. cut into cubes
Extra virgin olive oil
Large cherry tomatoes

In a food processor or blender, finely chop the celery, basil, onion, carrot, garlic, and salt. With the machine running, add the oil and vinegar in a steady stream, using just enough oil to create a fairly thick sauce.

In a small bowl mix the rub ingredients.

In a large bowl, coat the meat lightly with olive oil and season with the rub, stirring to coat evenly. Allow the meat to stand for 20-30 minutes before grilling.

Thread the meat and tomatoes alternately onto the skewers. Grill the skewers over direct heat with the lid closed as much as possible, until cook to desired doneness – 6-8 minutes for medium rare, turning occasionally. Serve warm with the sauce on the side or drizzled over the top of the skewers. Enjoy!!!

I feel that a good meal is one way to express love for family and friends. How do you show love for your family and friends?

No comments: