Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, June 8, 2009

Mizithra Cheese, Spinach, and Magic Rub Chicken Pasta

Ok, so after the bbq contest – which I will be posting soon – you would think I would have had enough of grilling and meat, but no…..we grilled chicken and steak. We ate some of the steak and saved the rest for a different meal, but the chicken was added to a pasta dish I kind of made up.

With some fresh spinach, mizithra cheese, pasta from the hill in St. Louis, I was ready to make my pasta dish. For the chicken, I used a new rub recipe I found in my Weber Grilling cookbook. It is called Magic Rub; it can be used on beef, pork, and chicken. With a little spice from the mustard and cumin, it is a great rub that added a lot of zip to the chicken. After I put the rub on, I let the chicken sit for a while to allow the flavors to get into the chicken.

I love summertime, as it allows me to relax and just be with my family. Today is the last full day of school for the boys, and then they are basically done. They go to school for an hour on Wednesday to get their grades.

Mizithra, Chicken, Spinach Pasta

1 lb. linguini
½ lb chicken breasts cut into strips
1 recipe Magic Rub – see below
¼ lb mizithra cheese, shredded cheese
1 ½ cups fresh spinach
½ stick butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 ladles pasta water

Put rub on the chicken; let stand for 1-2 hours to let flavors really get into the chicken. Grill chicken, let cool, cut into long thin strips and set aside. Cook linguini according to package directions. While linguini is cooking, warm a serving bowl and put spinach, salt, pepper, ¾ of cheese, and melted butter or margarine into the bowl. Once pasta is cooked take out of pan and put directly into serving bowl, reserving at least 2 ladles of the pasta water. Combine all that is in the bowl adding pasta water if needed. To the top of the pasta add the rest of the cheese and the chicken. Serve immediately.

Magic Rub – From the Weber Grilling Cookbook

1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp freshly ground pepper.

Makes about 2 tablespoons.

No comments: