Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, July 20, 2009

Memphis Last Day and Grilled Clams

Ok, so it has been over a week since I posted the rest of my Memphis post. The reason for that is…….we got sick! Hubby got some sort of virus our last day in Memphis, and I got the lovely virus a couple of days later. We ended up not going on the next part of our vacation, but we both feel better now.

Anyway we did go out to lunch on our last day – I thought Hubby had a hangover from the night before. He did drink some beer. He told me later as he was lying in bed with the covers up to his nose and a fever of like 102 or something, that he did not have a hangover, that he did not drink too much beer, and that he did not ruin the day – the virus did. I have heard about the non hangover for over a week now. I will probably never hear the end of it.

For lunch we went back to A and R BBQ. We really liked it. I had wanted to try the bbq spaghetti the last time, but they were out. It wasn’t like any bbq spaghetti that I had ever had before. There was a seasoning in there that I couldn’t pinpoint, and today I still can’t pinpoint. After lunch we walked to the Madison Hotel and took the elevator to the rooftop deck to get some great views of the city. The view was spectacular. We looked for our hotel – found it, and looked for other Memphis landmarks. I love city views.

While I love living where I do, I truly miss the city. I loved walking around downtown, seeing the history in the old buildings, and watching the other city dwellers. To me there is a magic about a bustling city, that just makes me happy to be a part of it. On the other hand, there is something very comforting about the smaller community. First off, my neighbors aren’t in my window, you run into people you know wherever you go, and I really like the openness and the freedom to breathe. It’s a little contradictory, but oh well.

I didn’t do much cooking until last night when I grilled some clams. While in Memphis, we ate grilled oysters, and have been looking for a grilled oyster recipe to try ourselves. While I haven’t found that, I did happen to find a grilled clam recipe from Barefoot Contessa – Grilled Clams with Basil Breadcrumbs. Very tasty, but I will be honest with you – I don’t think that grilling the clams added that much. in my personal, non professional opinion, steaming the clams in stock or a light white wine would make the dish so much better. Ina said to not lose any juice when taking the clams off the grill. I wasn’t very successful at that. The breadcrumb mixture had a great fresh summer taste – the lemon, basil, sundried tomatoes, yummy. I will make this again, but I will steam, not grill the clams.

Have a great day – next time, a pasta entry for Presto Pasta Night!!!!

No comments: